 Space / 28181
28180  |  28182
Subject:
Non-genuine LEGO MOCs (Was Re: Three new Wipeout MOCs)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:35:57 GMT

In lugnet.space, Alexander Johnston wrote:

   It’s a model made partly from LEGO and partly from other ABS plastic pieces. This means that A) somebody who can’t afford to damage their parts can’t replicate your model, and B) it technically (and aesthetically) isn’t a genuine LEGO creation which, like it or not, is inferior to a genuine LEGO creation (or even a clone brick creation!), it being a lot less clever and ingenuous than making a MOC without modifying parts.

I have heard this argument about a thousand times, yet I have yet to see anyone pull it off without doing what I did. I’d be more than willing to learn to be a better Lego creator if people gave me some reasonable suggestions with regards to methodology and construction techniques rather than just complain.

I’m disappointed that you imply that the community is at fault for not helping you. I also fail to understand how we’re supposed to design our version of such a model according to your subjective criteria for “pulling it off”. We’d have to use our own criteria... not surprisingly, this would involve not modifying the bricks. After all, that’s what this is all about - your modelling criteria not being in concordance with ours. Anyone who feels otherwise should speak up!

   Also, let’s take the reductionist argument for a moment. If you’re such a stickler for accuracy, why do you tolerate LEGO studs all over the vehicles? Surely you could cut those off too, fill in the dimples... you may as well have kitbashed the exterior fairings with plastic plate from a hobby shop, as Aaron suggested!

I tend to ignore those who make insulting comments while being pitifully bad at being subtle about it. As far as I’m concerned, your response was the only good one I have gotten so far. For better or for worse. ;-)

But you’re no stranger to hypocrisy, obviously - how ironic (especially as I wasn’t really insulting you). But anyway...

For example, when I built the engine bell for the feisar craft, 2 x 2 hinges wouldn’t fit. Bottom line. No amount of skill could have fixed that problem.

Not even doubling the scale of the craft?... there, I just gave you a completely reasonable construction/methodology suggestion - sounds like it would work a treat too! :-)

In this respect we’re just going to have to agree to disagree.

Oh no, I have too many counter-arguments on standby for that. Is this off-topic.debate material? I’m trying to be as educational as possible...

Cheers,