 Space / 27889
Re: How extensively do you plan ships?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 22:35:06 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jordan D. Greer wrote:
   How extensively do all of you plan your vessels before you commence
with construction? Personally, I usually do a small doodle or just start
building before making a ship of less than 120 studs. When the ships are
larger than that, I generally do a lot of math and drawings to figure
out how many pieces will be needed, general shapes, construction
methods, angles, masses, et cetera. By far, I think the most useful
planning one can do is figure out the minimum amount of pieces of
appropriate types that can be used in a vessel of dimensions (x,y,z).
Just doodling general features is also very useful. I would probably do
a bit more of planning if I had better drawing skills, but alas, I do
not possess such at this moment.

Hi there, Jordan,

For ships under 50 studs, I generally start with what piece I will be using for
the cockpit canopy. I sometimes will base a model on a sketch that I have drawn
but other than that I just have a look at what colours I have available and thus
what scheme to employ. For my last few designs I have gotten into the trend of
using what I call a lateral line - basically layer of 1x2 bricks with studs on
most sidea arranged so that the model's vertical stud direction is inverted.
This becomes an easy place to start as it gives some bearing as to the model's
size, etc.
However, if a model is based around one large feature (ie. I was playing around
with a solar sail idea the other week), I will usually start on that feature and
build from there, usually making silhouette (sp?) sketches to work out where the
design is going.

Hope this helps,

Zac