 Space / 269
Re: Babylon 5 ships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 10:41:52 GMT

G.W.J. Hassink wrote in message ...

I think I now of three links to B5-ike ships:

Narn Fighter:
   http://www.io.com/~jsproat/lego/narn_fighter/index.html

This model is just excellent. The proportions and implied functionality
(engines, guns, etc.) are top-notch. I'd also like to note that click-hinges
generally rock. They are "Lego Piece Of The Year" in my books.

Mostly, though, I don't really go for the B5 ship designs in general. The
Starfury is obviously awesome, the Shadow craft is kinda sexy for what it
is, and the Earth cruisers have a nice gutsy sort of no-nonsense "real-tech"
look to them, but most of the others are generic wedges with bits cut out of
them, or organic blobs, or just plain bugly in the case of most of the
Centauri ships. The Excalibur was also a major disappointment to me, being a
sort of vaguely uninspired derivation of one of those 50's sci-fi silver
finned rockets, give it a pointy end and you'd swear it was in Flash Gordon.
It kind of reminds me of that "first battlecruiser" you design when you're a
kid. And let's just forget about Galen's ship, because I already have. What
was it again?.... oh yes, that's right. It was a wedge.  wow.

Anyway, that's just how I felt about them. I loved B5 as a series. Story arc
rocks. I'll never forget the look on Londo's face when they bombed the Narn
homeworld with mass drivers, or when he saw the sky full of Shadow ships and
remembered his vision...  Great stuff.

Paul
[My Page: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shuttle/5168/ ]