 Space / 25910
Re: The Kalashnikov is ready for Battle.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 15:59:07 GMT

In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   Comrades,

The Office of the Jr.Marshal is pleased to announce the completion of its latest and greatest project: The Long-Range Interstellar Strategic Warship, the Kalashnikov.

Main Folder

Excellent work, Lenny! During your construction pics, I wasn’t quite sure what the end result was going to be. Would it be boxy? Would it be a flying tube? Would it be flat and wedge like? It all looked very promising, but the outcome was unclear.

Well boy did it come together! I think the mark of a successful large ship is one that looks sleek and deliberate when viewed from afar and maintains that cohesiveness when the details are revealed. The Kal does this exceptionally well.

Many of the effective details have been mentioned upthread, but I would just like to add I like the attention to the interior wall detailing. I have a tendency to ‘shell build’, forgetting about the interior in favour of the exterior. A failing of mine to be sure. You however have done an excellent job of avoiding this pitfall...the shot of the interior of the warp pylon comes to mind...and on an angle to boot!

Gil, thanks for the kind words! Interior detailing is really some of the hardest to do, especially when it turns out that it is almost impossible to see (much less photograph). The shower and bath room are like this, but also the bunks and the gunstations. Part of the reason why I’m glad i took “during” pictures, so they are viewable in that regard.

And I, too, was unsure about how it would turn out. Especially when encountering pretty big problems with realizing my initial design. That’s the fear with spaceships, they are such a effort in building, with such a real possibility of some small mistake early on turning into huge problems later. it would suck to spend three weeks building something only then to realize a fatal flaw that requires extensive rebuilding.

thanks for the kind words!

-Jr.Mar.Hoffman