 Space / 24979
Re: What do you think would happen if........
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 03:30:15 GMT

In lugnet.space, Dean R. Hennen wrote:
   Hello all,

Some weeks ago I watched a sci-fi Anime series. After watching one of the episodes I got thinking about this “method of escape”.

Here’s the Scenario:

Two guys are stuck in a very large, glass-roofed lounge with the ceiling pointing into outer space. The room is airtight. They can’t get out of there by putting on space suits or hopping on a ship in the hangar because the places are all sealed off. Their friend comes with his ship, floating about 500 feet above the lounge roof. He drops a rope on a fast-reeling pulley (you know what I mean) towards the roof. Just before it hits the roof, the two other guys shoot at the roof, breaking it. The air rushes out as the rope drops in. They hang on as they are reeled in very quickly. The rushing air provides a little bit of pressure so they can survive on the way up. They quickly board the ship, and the pilot (by computer) seals the airtight door.

Is this possible? Why or Why not?

Sorta... Contrary to popular belief (and that one Treehouse of Horror ep of The Simpsons), people do not explode in a vacuum (though their blood vessels certainly can. They’ll die of asphyxiation while freezing. It is possible (though not at all advisable) to survive a brief period in a vacuum, though you’ll likely suffer some permanent eye damage (your tears would pretty much instantly crystalize, followed not to far behind by your retinal fluid), and you might lose some fingers/toes due to severe frostbit/ruptured capilaries. Another problem is that if you suck in a big breath of air and then blow out the canopy while holding your breath, you will pop your lungs (just ask any scuba diver for an explanation on that one).

The biggest physics problem here is that they were thrust out from the room by the explosive decompression, but it sounds like the rope still continued to drop towards them...against the rush of gas that was strong enough to chuck them out. No way that would happen. Then again, who watches anime for realism?