 Space / 25017
Re: What do you think would happen if........
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 15:17:31 GMT

In lugnet.space, Markham Carroll wrote:
If there is artificial gravity, the g-forces of the rocket-powered rope would >be too much for them to hold onto.

     My understanding from all of this is that the rope is rocket-powered to get
_to_ the lounge, not to go away from it.  That would even help with that whole
problem of the rope being able to continue "downward" through the explosive
decompression.

Actually, even if there wasn't any artificial gravity, the fact that the rope
going back to Lafiel's ship at such a great speed would give them a great
amount of whiplash.

     The explosive decompression through the newfound hole in the canopy would
provide a large assist in breaking them free of any localized artificial
gravity, which should end somewhere just within the space contained by the
broken canopy (after all, you don't want to collect random space junk all over
the pretty window, do you?).

     Whiplash is caused by having your head bobble back and forth or side to
side, not by being pushed downward, or against anything that can help resist the
whole bobblehead effect (it should be noted that naval aircraft carriers use
afterburner backwash and a high-speed cable launcher to essentially fling
aircraft off the deck fast enough to cause the pilots to black out for a brief
amount of time as their blood tries to reorient itself, and the pilots don't get
whiplash).  As long as they weren't being stupid and gawking upwards when the
rope starts getting reeled in, it wouldn't be so bad.  The best thing to do
would be to grab on immediately opposite each other, and tuck both of your heads
forward to brace against the other person's shoulder.  And hope he doesn't lose
his grip.

It'd be like grabbing the leash of a dog as it runs past you.  A really, >really fast dog.

     Not really.  First of all, the rocket on the rope should be holding it down
in the room against the rush of escaping air, so they've got a bit of time to
grab onto it.  Second, if the winch system is allowed to ramp up to speed
instead of instantly kicking into overdrive, the relative G-forces of being
hauled out of that room should be relatively low.  The big question is if the
rocket was kind enough to shut off just before they grabbed on, so it wouldn't
be toasting their feet through the entire ride.

The physics of it all really seem iffy

     I'm not saying that it's probable, just that it's minutely possible.  Odds
are something would go horribly awry, and at least one of the escapees (most
likely both) would end up dying an unpleasant death.

but hey; it's anime.

     Indeed it is, and these preposterous storylines are one of the three main
reasons why I rarely ever watch anime (the other two are the silly conventions,
like giant eyes = good guy, and the reduction in animation quality caused by too
many budget constraints, like speed lines being used to convey the idea of
motion because they can't afford to draw buildings).

Where else does constant thrust equal constant velocity in zero-gravity

     I could be wrong, but I was always under the impression that Star Wars
invented that concept.

and items bulge before exploding?

     Eh...not Star Wars.  But that one Treehouse of Horrors ep of The Simpsons
does show Homer and Bart getting some serious big-head syndrome before popping
offscreen.