 Space / 24987
Re: What do you think would happen if........
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 05:50:02 GMT

In lugnet.space, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Dean R. Hennen wrote:
   Hello all,

Some weeks ago I watched a sci-fi Anime series. After watching one of the episodes I got thinking about this “method of escape”.

Here’s the Scenario:

Two guys are stuck in a very large, glass-roofed lounge with the ceiling pointing into outer space. The room is airtight. They can’t get out of there by putting on space suits or hopping on a ship in the hangar because the places are all sealed off. Their friend comes with his ship, floating about 500 feet above the lounge roof. He drops a rope on a fast-reeling pulley (you know what I mean) towards the roof. Just before it hits the roof, the two other guys shoot at the roof, breaking it. The air rushes out as the rope drops in. They hang on as they are reeled in very quickly. The rushing air provides a little bit of pressure so they can survive on the way up. They quickly board the ship, and the pilot (by computer) seals the airtight door.

Is this possible? Why or Why not?

Hello again,

This is from the anime “Crest of the Stars” so if anyone watches it, beware, for this post has:

*****SPOILERS!*****SPOILERS!*****

I got the episode segment’s story this time. It goes like this:

Lafiel (the pilot) brings her ship about 50-100 feet away from the ceiling. Lafiel shoots a rocket-propelled rope down into the lounge where Jinto and some other guy (forgot his name) are. It shatters the ceiling, and the two guys hold on as it is being reeled very quickly up to the bay door.The vast amount of air shooting out gives only low air pressure, but it is enough for them to breathe and keep their important organs (e.g. arteries, eyes) running. They get in, open the airlock, and it’s done.

PLMKWYT.

Cheers (*clink*)

Dean