 Space / 24309
  Theoretical Question: Missile Design

Theoretically speaking, or is it hypothetically, what would an ideal space missile look like? concerning my picture here: (URL) i've got one big missile and several smaller ones that feature fins. fins, of course, help control direction in an (...) (21 years ago, 6-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Theoretical Question: Missile Design

(...) It would be a sphere. Very cool looking missiles, though! :-) -Tim (21 years ago, 6-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Theoretical Question: Missile Design

(...) True. It would be good to see some sphere-designs. I sense a new use for those little bionicle balls... -JHK (2 URLs) (21 years ago, 6-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Theoretical Question: Missile Design

(...) I didn't know Bionicles had balls. --Todd (21 years ago, 6-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Theoretical Question: Missile Design

(...) The return of the old fashioned cannonball! My brother has about five of those LEGO soccer balls in his collection. Should I incorporate them in a spaceship or would that just be plain silly?! Love, Sylvi (21 years ago, 6-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Theoretical Question: Missile Design

(...) Hmm, well, having the engines farther away from the central axis might make it more manoeuverable (as you could steer in certain directions merely by applying differential thrust), I'm pretty sure it would also cause the ship to be less stable (...) (21 years ago, 6-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Theoretical Question: Missile Design

(...) EWWWWWW! Sicko! or if you meant it in a more literal way... I was talking about this part: (URL) -JHK (2 URLs) (21 years ago, 6-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Theoretical Question: Missile Design

In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman wrote: <Big snip> (...) Warhead dynamics, for one. You'd need different shapes for different types of projectile, depending on the desired type of impact. Just as an example, HEAT (High Explosive Anti-Tank) missiles (...) (21 years ago, 6-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Theoretical Question: Missile Design

(...) I was just recalling playing with the b-ball set out at the club after BricksWest earlier today ... hehehe. The set with the, ahem, multicolored projectiles. *snicker* -Tim (who can't wait to play LEGO b-ball at Rocklands at BrickFest) (21 years ago, 7-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Theoretical Question: Missile Design

(...) The most effecient way to do that is to have 1 engine and a bunch of rotational thrusters that let you turn to put the engine where you want it. James (21 years ago, 7-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Theoretical Question: Missile Design

(...) That turned out interesting. No more easy <snips> now... -JHK (21 years ago, 7-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Theoretical Question: Missile Design

(...) I've always used [snip] - but in FTX that bolds it. *shrug*. Ooh, just looked up at your post and you can comment out with ` -- cool! -Tim (21 years ago, 7-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Theoretical Question: Missile Design

(...) It depends on what you're trying to do. If you want fast and furious, and you don't care much about accuracy, you go with a tube-shaped missile with centrally located thrusters that use constant-burn to crank up the speed before the target can (...) (21 years ago, 7-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Theoretical Question: Missile Design

(...) If you go by pure physics, the fact that you're in a vacuum would make everything more stable, since there's no real resistance. Besides, a sophisticated self-guided missile should be able to auto-correct the thruster outputs based on constant (...) (21 years ago, 7-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

"leonard hoffman" <glencaer@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:HG2vor.1EK5@lugnet.com... (...) fins, of (...) in (...) Well, if you're borg, probably cubic or spherical would be "perfection." But besides the structural uses of wings and fins for (...) (21 years ago, 7-Jun-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Theoretical Question: Missile Design

(...) But isn't that cone inverted within the shell body? (21 years ago, 7-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Theoretical Question: Missile Design

Yeah, but I'm hoping he doesn't know that :) I like cone-tipped missiles. Take care, Soren (21 years ago, 7-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Theoretical Question: Missile Design

(...) Okay, so try this on for size: impact detonation trigger. You want it to be in the center of the missile, and you want it to be able to contact at oblique angles. The easiest way to do that is to have it mounted to the end of a long cone. (...) (21 years ago, 7-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Theoretical Question: Missile Design

(...) Pretty much. In space, only physical exhaust and gravity really do anything to generate propulsion, and solar energy isn't going to help much with either. Besides, solar energy is much better suited to long-term energy production, which is (...) (21 years ago, 7-Jun-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Theoretical Question: Missile Design

(...) Which is why later model T-80's employed re-active armor to explode on contact and redirect the shaped charge prior to detonation. I believe the Challenger and Leopard tanks use this mechanism as well... (21 years ago, 10-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Theoretical Question: Missile Design

(...) Placing the engines far from the central axis wouldn't do anything, but placing them far from the center of mass would give them some mechanical advantage. (...) As others have said, a sphere would be the ideal, though in practice probably (...) (21 years ago, 12-Aug-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Theoretical Question: Missile Design

(...) Placing the thrusters far from center of mass makes it easier to introduce angluar momentum into the system; i.e., the missile cartwheels out of control. Ideally, center of mass and point of thrust would be same point. James Wilson Dallas, TX (21 years ago, 31-Aug-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Theoretical Question: Missile Design

(...) I was referring to a fighter, where being able to quickly rotate would be an advantage. Thrusters appropriately placed could be used to stop the rotation at the optimal time. (21 years ago, 1-Sep-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Theoretical Question: Missile Design

(...) That's what computerized control systems are for. I'm sure that's the idea behind the Babylon 5 Starfuries. Remember, physics works a bit differently in a vacuum than it does in a thick atmosphere. In an atmosphere you can use steering fins to (...) (21 years ago, 1-Sep-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Theoretical Question: Missile Design

(...) Hey, this question is going off on a tangent, but can angular momentum be represented by the standard p=mv (with v represeting angular velocity)? Regarding gyroscopic inertia, can gyroscopic momentum be treated normally in order to calculate (...) (21 years ago, 1-Sep-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)