 Space / 22203
Re: Building Rant One
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 00:44:23 GMT

Hey there

I know I don't post much, nor do I have many models online to show off

(BTW--Main Site: http://www.ozbricks.com/alliancefleet/
and Brickshelf: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=lego-dude9 )

but I still have a few ideas on the subject...

First of all, I believe that function dictates form.  The space shuttle
obviously has room for crew and cargo, but has no large equipment
protrusions because of its mode of re-entry.  Similarly, a communications
sattelite has minimal mass and equipment coming out the wazoo!  Literally!
The two are tailored to fit their function, and that's how I build my MOCs.
(although they still have to have SOME amount of beauty, even if it's a
rusty, old frankenstein ship.)

Second, I don't think there's one "right" way of greebling.  I use minimal
greebling simply because of my lack of parts.  However, a MOC's FORM is what
makes it look cool (*wishes he could find his camera to show you his latest
landing pods*).  For example, my Errant Kangaroo model on brickshelf (see
above links).  Sorry 'bout the bad pics, but you get the gist of it.  The
form is almost exactly how I wanted it, and overall, I'm pleased with the
entire model.  I don't care that there's minimal greebling...

I build with many different motives and inspirations--I have no central
theory to building.  When I get a good idea, I take it and RUN!!!
~Andrew~