 Space / 22098
Re: Building Rant One
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:22:31 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Hartzog writes:
I am trying to develop a comprehensive philosophy/theory
of building through my work, that will involve technic
chassis, plating/greebly techniques, etc. and in my
opinion, a large ship would have much of the same design
approach as a smaller ship (visually, not structurally)

anyway,
please chime in and share your opinions :-)

Hi Paul, I'm not certain what you are asking here, or if perhaps you are
just looking for validation of your path.  Here's how I see it:

I think that every MOC builder is in some way an artist.  Some take their
art more seriously than others, but regardless each one of us develops their
own unique style.  We may share and copy some techniques and ideas, but the
end result of a "published" MOC will vary greatly between us.  So, it may
just be that you are discovering your own personal style.  This style may
indeed permeate what you build, even if you deviate to different ideas (such
as building more large MOCs rather than small ones).

Additionally, I personally see no problem with those who prefer to build
smaller MOCs.  Although my brain has yet to totally grasp the technical
hurdles of micro-fig scale models, small mini-fig scale models are actually
my favorite.  Here in .space, I like to see small vessels with small crews
because they seem more akin to the original TLC sets, and the biggest
similarity is often that the concepts behind them can be recreated or used
by builders whose collection of ABS cannot support a giant SHIP.  I have a
lot of pieces, but they are divided between several themes, so I don't
really have a lot for my Space MOCs.  Anything larger than a Moonbase Module
is difficult for me to achieve without purchasing new bricks, and my budget
is also limited at times.  Put all this together, and I am someone who loves
to see the small MOCs as much as the large ones.

As for my own philosophy with my own MOCs, one thing I want to start doing
is developing several distinct styles, each to represent the different
factions of my fictional Legoverse (Valyance).  I envision Billundian FSPC
ships to be like Classic Space or Futuron, but with a style that is wider
than long; I plan to make more Formian ships that are radical non-delta-wing
shapes; and I hope to develop more Lortarian ships that are influenced by SP2...

Whatever you develop, have fun doing it and always build to impress yourself
as much as everyone else.  That is another philosophy I like...  :)

Cheers,
-Hendo
http://www.valyance.com/starship/myships/