 Space / 22100
Re: Building Rant One
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:48:54 GMT

howD all,

HI! (waves madly)

just a little building rant here
hoping to stir up some cool discussion
and sharing of ideas and approaches...

cool

Some of you may have noticed that I don't build big.
Now that I've posted the Mako, some of you may also
have noticed that as my ships get bigger, I am very
carefully maintaining the same level of detail as
in my smaller stuff.

It's an evolution like anything else.  I doubt anyone can claim that they
started big

This is very important to me as a builder.  Some folks
(no names plz) like to keep prodding me to build big,
and of course I will (in fact, I am planning a series
of ships that are each a little bigger than the last).
But there is an obsession with me, that if the level
of detail diminishes merely because the ship is a SHIP,
then there is a problem.

every thing you build you have to be happy with.  When I was younger i was
happy with ships that were just a blue box with engines.  my Lego dudes had
to get around the galaxy some how. but these days I just am not happy with that

I am trying to develop a comprehensive philosophy/theory
of building through my work, that will involve technic
chassis, plating/greebly techniques, etc. and in my
opinion, a large ship would have much of the same design
approach as a smaller ship (visually, not structurally)

I cannot really help much with that.  my only theory if that it needs to
look functional.  some models look ok with large flat area with a little
greebling, some (or most) don't.  I really want to build large SHIPS but
I'm not at that stage yet, but I will be at some stage.

as long as I'm happy with what I'm building at the moment (which is a
Brikwars army, so there is not much need for bigger ships)

Trav (-|-)