 Space / 22191
Re: Building Rant 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:02:19 GMT

Paul-
Yes, a great topic for discussion.  I think my design philosophy in regards
to Space has changed a lot over the last two years, primarily due to what I
have been exposed to since then, both online and in class/studio.  I have no
MOCs online at the moment (except for the Super Droid Fighter...heh) as I am
new to posting and using Brickshelf, or any image-hosting site for that
matter.  (I hope to photograph all of my still-assembled MOCs by the end of
May.)
Anyway...I would say that my philosophy of building spaceships--fighters and
vessels--has remained consistent over the past decade.  (I'm a undergrad
sophomore.)  I know I was mainly influenced by the LEGO Group's designs.  Of
my designs that did not take from any of TLG's ideas directly, I focused on
"clean" surfaces and crafted my ships according to an aerodynamic degree.  I
really did not greeblize much--the only rough or intricate spaces were on
engines, guns, or technical features.  I never really built larger than 30
studs (I think).  This was due mainly in part to my collection/part
availability (not blaming that though).  I had always wanted to build a
large ship that would house a crew and provide living quarters as well as
observational functions.  *thinks of Jon Palmer's Bison*  Yes, I could have
destroyed much of my town and castle structures to accomodate that need but
I didn't want to.  ... I know that I did not sketch many ideas prior to
college.  A lot of my ideas never came to fruition during high school as I
did not allot much time for building, and again my free parts count was low.
In regards to building (large) SHIPs I do think that part of it requires
conceptualizing the whole shape but also visualizing it in sections and/or
functions.  I agree in part with Allister that "Ultimately the building
technique is defined by the model. If the model demands a totally smooth
exterior, then that's what the model gets."  But then again form can follow
function.  As Gil said, "From what I can see, the excellent large-scale
builders here can visualize the project in it's entirety, seeing the outer
skin as a pre-existing unit that just has to be sculpted....Michealangelo's
'freeing the figure from the marble', if you will."  I would also say
(albeit not from experience) that this is not ALWAYS the case because a SHIP
can be designed in sections without the creator thinking about the whole.
Furthermore, I do think that what Gil said applies to fighters too, but I
realize that varoius specialized LEGO elements themselves can cohesively
form a sculpted surface.
"Mosaics tend be very large, and can communicate on that level, while
watercolors are smaller and communicate on a different level. The same with
SHIPs v. fighters.  They are both so beautiful, but in different ways."
-Lenny YES Indeed!
Okay, not sure if I went off on some tangents there but I think that
generates some idea of what I was attempting to verbalize.  Will probably
add more later.

ciao&salaam
-Andrew

In lugnet.space, Paul Hartzog writes:
[snip]
This is very important to me as a builder.  Some folks
(no names plz) like to keep prodding me to build big,
and of course I will (in fact, I am planning a series
of ships that are each a little bigger than the last).
But there is an obsession with me, that if the level
of detail diminishes merely because the ship is a SHIP,
then there is a problem.

I am trying to develop a comprehensive philosophy/theory
of building through my work, that will involve technic
chassis, plating/greebly techniques, etc. and in my
opinion, a large ship would have much of the same design
approach as a smaller ship (visually, not structurally)

anyway,
please chime in and share your opinions :-)

-paul