 Space / 22085
    Building Rant One —Paul Hartzog
   howD all, just a little building rant here hoping to stir up some cool discussion and sharing of ideas and approaches... Some of you may have noticed that I don't build big. Now that I've posted the Mako, some of you may also have noticed that as my (...) (21 years ago, 13-Mar-03, to lugnet.space)

        Re: Building Rant One —Ross Crawford
     (...) Oh darn! When I read the subject I thought you were working on the first in a line of "Rant" class ships!! 8?) ROSCO (21 years ago, 13-Mar-03, to lugnet.space)

        Re: Building Rant One —Mark Sandlin
     (...) u suk, p0l. ;) ~Grand Admiral (21 years ago, 13-Mar-03, to lugnet.space)

        Re: Building Rant One —Allister McLaren
     It's sort of hard to respond to this as no specific question has been asked. I'm not really certain what it is you wish to discuss exactly, but I'm guessing the nub of it is in your last paragraph. So here's the question I tihnk was being asked: (...) (21 years ago, 13-Mar-03, to lugnet.space)

        Re: Building Rant One —John P. Henderson
     (...) Hi Paul, I'm not certain what you are asking here, or if perhaps you are just looking for validation of your path. Here's how I see it: I think that every MOC builder is in some way an artist. Some take their art more seriously than others, (...) (21 years ago, 13-Mar-03, to lugnet.space)

        Re: Building Rant One —Travis Matheson
     (...) HI! (waves madly) (...) cool (...) It's an evolution like anything else. I doubt anyone can claim that they started big (...) every thing you build you have to be happy with. When I was younger i was happy with ships that were just a blue box (...) (21 years ago, 13-Mar-03, to lugnet.space)

        Re: Building Rant One —Paul Baulch
     (...) It depends on the real purpose behind designing the ship. You describe it as 'details'. I see it as something different: features. I always design the ships with what features I want in mind. Sometimes big ships are the result. For instance, I (...) (21 years ago, 14-Mar-03, to lugnet.space)

        Re: Building Rant One —Gil Shaw
     Great topic Paul...and one that constitutes many of the challenges I find I face in my own building. A few people have asked why I haven't really built anything longer than 25 studs or so. The answer is not from lack of desire, but rather the (...) (21 years ago, 14-Mar-03, to lugnet.space)

        Re: Building Rant One —Leonard Hoffman
     I'd like to chime in on this discussion. Partly because I'm a subSHIP builder (a SHIP being 100 studs, and mine usually got at ~70), and I know the difficulty in designing and building anything that big. I've got four attempts under my belt and I (...) (21 years ago, 14-Mar-03, to lugnet.space)

        Re: Building Rant 1 —Andrew Saada
     Paul- Yes, a great topic for discussion. I think my design philosophy in regards to Space has changed a lot over the last two years, primarily due to what I have been exposed to since then, both online and in class/studio. I have no MOCs online at (...) (21 years ago, 18-Mar-03, to lugnet.space)

        Re: Building Rant One —Andrew Engstrom
     Hey there I know I don't post much, nor do I have many models online to show off (BTW--Main Site: (URL) Brickshelf: (URL) ) but I still have a few ideas on the subject... First of all, I believe that function dictates form. The space shuttle (...) (21 years ago, 19-Mar-03, to lugnet.space)

        Re: Building Rant One —Tony Alexander
   Paul, I just build. When I get going, I don't even know why I make some of the decisions I do - I just like them, and when I finally collapse into a quivering heap in a huge pile of parts, I can't explain if there even was reason in what I did. Odd, (...) (21 years ago, 22-Mar-03, to lugnet.space)