 Space / 22043
Re: Grimlock Interceptor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:35:56 GMT

Thanks, Gil.

Do you mean sloping vertically, or longitudinally? I'm assuming vertically,
since it would help cut down on the number of vertical faces and lend a
little more sculpting to the shape. I feel like I'm getting the hang of some
of the technical "engineering" sort of techniques, but still need to work on
the SNOT. Maybe in a couple of more models....

As to the engine compartment, I knew I wanted intakes along the fuselage. I
had the main thrusters in place already. I added the particle accelerator
cores in between, one for each thruster similar to the Syplh. I added the
sidways 1 x 3 slopes so that the material scooped up by the ion intakes
would have some way to pass through the accelerator cores and into the lower
manifold. I had some room, so I installed 5 seperate fuel cells (no free
ride here). I tucked the plasma conuits under the ion ducts and added a
valve assembly and compressor. The fuel is jetted through the upper manifold
and into the main thrusters. I figured the particle accelerators might put
off a little heat so I ran  cooling units over the top and allow them to
radiate the heat off into space.

The enviromental unit is a little small, but after packing in all of the
equipment for the engines I didn't have much room left. I was lucky to
hollow out the bottom of the enviromental unit enough to get it to fit over
the two aft fuel cells while still having the room to get the ducting to the
cabin.

All in all, the engine compartment took about 30 minutes of work. It was
enclosing it that took the time. I'm sure if I had kept on building during
my first building session, the body style would have turned out much
differently. If I can get one good creative burst (and the time to build), I
can usually come up with something above average. When I have to break it up
into multiple building sessions, I begin to think too much about how I want
to build.

-Duane

In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw writes:
I like the overall shape of this Duane...the Delta design never really goes
out of style.  My only suggestion may be a few more slopes along the edges
to taper the edges a bit, but that's just a personal preference.

The job you've done on the engine compartment is wonderful tho'....the
layered apparatus looks great.

Cheers,
-Gil