 Space / 21772
Re: Station 45
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 19:56:18 GMT

In lugnet.space, Keith Goldman writes:
Kirby, thanks for checking out the laser tower.  It is one of my favorite
projects, and very few people took the time to give me any feedback on it.

Hmmmm.....sounds like I may have missed an earlier post about it?  I've been
fairly sporadic in my posting/browsing of Lugnet.

You have a great eye for detail and theme, I appreciate that.

Well, if you say so!! I can neither confirm nor deny the above statement!

it looks like every minifig has a uniform to match its duties and rank.  >There is a certain blend of function and form that works really well with >your technique.
-Thanks, I took alot of time and thought to achieve that effect

And money too, I presume...I keep telling people that we ought to have a law
to prevent people from abusing their wallets...

my photography skills are substandard.
Since interior shots are even more challenging, I usually don't bother.  I
go more for the exterior look, and how they relate to other buildings and
the overall theme.

I think your photography is just fine.  You have decent close-ups and
angles.  There's always room for improvement but you don't actually "have"
to improve.

At the base of the tower, or maybe it was one of the "anchors", there is a
non'functioning door with a grey lightsaber handle that looks like it can
actually open until I took a good long look at it.
-Again, I'm busted.  I couldnt make a working door that looked cool, so I
cheated, and made a cool looking door that didn't work.

You know, I actually feared; after posting, that the door, by some freaky
constructin just "might" work...

I really liked the police.  I think I'll use that minifig desgin in a couple
of future projects if you don't mind!
-Go for it!  I use them as a Federal Police Force that is solely responisle
for quelling civil unrest, and protecting "sensitive" areas while the
Spyrius Regulars are off waging war. They have a substation below the laser
tower.

Thanks!  Now, if only I can remember where the idea came from so I can give
credit when the time comes...

I'll be looking forward to your battle scene.
-Thats probably the highest complement you could have given me.  Again, thanks.

No problem!

-By the way, I took a look at your hover tank, and I really dug it.

Now there's a response out of the left field!

I could imagine troops disgorging from the back, like a super-armored-troop
transport.

Oddly enough, that just happened to be a bonus due to the extra space that
resulted from bad planning.  Right now, it's stuffed with armed droids.

Specifically, I liked the main gun array, and what I guess are intakes on >the sides (xwing engines).

The guns were fun! And the turret even turns!!  As for the 'intakes'...Heh,
a lack of bricks has all sorts of odd side-effects like that!  To make up
for the seemingly useless intakes, I actually installed the engines beneath
the tank; but I don't recall taking pics of the bottom.  Most people
probably assumed the discs on the bottom of the 'wings' were the engines.

Also liked the radar dish on the
front.  Pretty mean looking hovertank!

I was rather tickled over my "ingenuity" for that one too!

Over-all, the hovertank was just an experiment.  I wanted several things and
they all worked out pretty well.  I demanded a bare minimum of transparent
highlights, a rotating low-profile gun turret with three cannons, hover
engines, a functioning rear-entry, and the front had to be sloped.  Beyond
that, anything went.  I wasn't impressed with the final shape, but all my
requirements worked, although I cheated a bit on the forward slope.

Take care!!