 Space / 21732
Re: My first Photoshop Picture...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 15:30:22 GMT

In lugnet.space, Wayne McCaul writes:
Pretty groovy pic, I used the Flaming Pear - it's too bad it expires. I'm
not sure if it's worth actually purchasing, however.

Yeah, I just used the demo and saved as many images as I could be it
expired!  :)

I thought I'd chime in on making blurred images, though:

A better way to simulate motion is to make use of layers.

Take your ship layer and duplicated it, so you've got two. Then, take one
layer and use the Motion Blur filter on it. Set the blur high, say 100
pixels in Distance and set the Angle to the direction the ship is
going/coming from. This should reduce the ship on that layer a series of
colored streaks, more or less.

Now, change the Opacity of the Blured Layer to something like 35-40%. You'll
have to experiment with this one, when the background is darker, sometimes
it's harder to see the blured layer so you might need to set it higher.

You'll have to move this layer around a bit as well. It should look like
it's moving, while the ship is still clearly visible. So it's just sliding
it towards the back of the ship, so the streaks are coming off the rear.
More experimentation.

You can also tweak the whole thing somewhat by using the Eraser (set at, say
20% - soft brush) on the blured layer to soften some of the edges of the motion.

This should leave the image of the ship basically clear, while still giving
you that sense of motion. It looks like you may have done some of this. If
so, sorry to blab on. Hope some of it was helpful.

I made a quick-and-dirty example:

Original:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hazy/Temp/blur01.jpg
Blurred:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hazy/Temp/blur02.jpg

Hey, that's very useful!  Maybe when I have some more time, I'll redo the
blurring.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

-JHK