 Space / 21726
Re: Pre CS MOC: The XLL324 "Vant"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 09:37:45 GMT

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the detailed response. I'll nswer what I can below..

In lugnet.space, Paul Hartzog writes:
In lugnet.space, Allister McLaren writes:
Hiyo,

Allister

i like this ship enough that i'm gonna go through
the pics here and comment:

nicet tubes

Looove tubes.

nice landing gear

But not very stable unfortunately.

nice piece on the rear (what is that piece that stretches
across the rear beneath the engines?)

See Duane's response. I'm surprised a greebmeister such as yourself hasn't
used them.

and i like how the rear chunk is not studs up but sideways.

That was the cause of some headaches, partly because it should probably have
been studs forward rather than studs back, but mostly due to the weakness of
the interphase.

I'd virtually finished the model and was loking at it as you do, trying to
decide if it needed anything added or removed, and I decided to turn a
couple of slopes 90º. In the process or removing the first one, the entire
rear section (which is only held on with 8 studs) fell on the floor and was
smashed to pieces. I rebuilt it ok, with only three bits mysteriously left
over. This wasn't too bad, but the next day I was making another minor
adjustment and the front section did the same thing.

nicely done canopy and cockpit
nice use of decorated tiles on the front

nice tubes and greeblies
what's in the hatch? why is it there?

After I built the shape I wanted I realised that there's not a heck of a lot
you can do with a 4 stud wide interior. In trying to find a function for
this ship I settled on a light cargo hauler - the space version of a
courier's van, so I threw in a few of those container boxes. Apart from the
cockpit and engine room, the interior is basically just a corridor.

the front rocks
the whitetop/greybottom is amazingly cool aesthetically
neat doors/hatches (interior pics, plz :-)
i really like the square detail on the rear section w/
the greeblies on it.  very nice.

Thanks. It's all based of course on your own philosophy of greebling, with
smooth sections broken up by patches of greebling, and trying to make them
recede into the ship, like there's a lot more in there. It works well - I'll
be using it again.

there's that piece again. on the botom. what is it?
love the rockets, same as on the sides, very TLC

nice overview
very very nice shape, very unusual and visually interesting

Thanks. High praise considering I didn't know what it was going to look like
until I was half finished. I usually prefer to have some plan in mind before
building, but this one pretty much was designed as I went.

this is a really cool ship
more pics would be great

Thanks, but I wouldn't hold my breath for more pictures. I'm digital
cameraless, and getting photos with my SLR is tedious at best.

as for the PCS thing, i guess its up to CGidd
but i think it could qualify as an experimental PCS ship
and not part of the main line (imho)

I'm starting to wish I'd never called it a pre CS ship :)

Allister