 Space / 20754
20753  |  20755
Subject:
Challenger
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 05:21:39 GMT

Jon,
     Great choice of pic to cap the .space sidebar!  Really touches me.
     I remember the day this happened 16 years ago today, the day after my
20th birthday; three Apollo astronauts died on the day I was born, too.
Really makes you stop and think about how tough the Frontier really is to
conquer.  Kirk and Picard, Skywalker and Kenobi, all those stories of the
future's past make it seem so easy, but we need to remember the terrible
price that can be paid in getting a Fleebnork drive or a pod's antigrav
thrusters to work well.  We need to honor those who give us the dreams, and
pursue those dreams, even if we're just playing.  We need to argue over
space carriers and ravioli cans, and build moonbase toystore models, and
wonder at the size of a capital ship.  Because when we do, life matters, our
lives and those we lost.
     I'm Carpe'ing a Diem right now. .space is so darned cool!
     Are you going to change pics every now and then, mixing real space
exploration with fictional/dream exploration and life?  I like it.  Keep up
the good work.

Peace and Long Life,
Tony Alexander