 Space / 20858
Re: Challenger
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 00:15:46 GMT

In lugnet.space, Patricia Van Dyke writes:
We knew.  We turned on the tv and radio but they were still clueless.

Patricia,
     Ouch.  I watched 'live' on TV in my dorm room at the University of
Nebraska-Lincoln, excited that the launch was almost like a birthday gift
from NASA.  I lost the excitement just after launch, and was horrified at
the loss... I remember thinking as I watched it the first time on TV that
the cloud trails left by the shattered parts of the Challenger seemed to
form the shrouded figure of Death, and was chilled, because I was sure that
we'd lost them while the news anchors were still checking out possibilities
for the astronauts' survival.  It must have been a terrible moment to see it
there in person.
     It's my hope that we'll honor their memory by not only continuing space
exploration, but also by learning to live in the realms of the Final
Frontier.  The possibilities are beyond imagining, but creative play with
Lego toys helps both young children and grown-up children to better develop
the dream of life in space and explore those possibilities.  Leg Godt, everyone.

Peace and Long Life,
Tony Alexander