 Space / 20420
Re: Microfig Attack Carrier
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 16:27:53 GMT

Thanks Gil!  Yeah, you can never tell when it comes to matters of taste.
Curved lines as we all know are hard to do in LEGO, even harder in smallish
designs with fewer parts.  I always like challenging myself in this way.
Building this model was also fun in that it really reminded me of some of
the early microfig efforts I had like this one, built way back in July '99;

Pat J

In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw writes:
I think this one has merit Pat, particularily for it's fidelity to the 70's
anime ship aesthetic.  Poking around the several Yamato/Starblazers
referrence sites, it struck me that the designs of the time are curving,
bulbous lots, often resembling some sort of peristaltic wave rather than a
mechanical construct.  It then occured to me that the industrial designs of
that time, particuliarily in the automotive area were rife with dramatic
sweeps, curves and rounded lines - just think of the 70's era Corvette for
an example.

Your creation has strong echoes of this, through the use of the long slopes
and narrowing of the midpoint.  Although this style (IMO) has less general
appeal than the more modern trend of angular lines, I think you've acheived
your goal.

I've tried this retro look before and have never been able to pull it off.

Good stuff.

Cheers,
-Gil

In lugnet.space, Patrick Justison writes:
I am never able to wait until the model is finished before I post, so here
is another almost done model.  I haven't finished a lot of the internal
details and the rear portion around the engines still needs work too, but
the overall shape is evident.

Pre-moderation
http://home.austin.rr.com/prj/atcr/
Post-moderation

I count many influences in the design of this model but none more than these
two;

Space Battleship Yamato (Star Blazers).  I have always loved these designs;

http://www.shipschematics.net/yamato/

Ken Takeuchi and his 0050 Cruiser.  Many are probably more impressed with
the 0059 carrier but the 0050 came first.

http://member.nifty.ne.jp/ken-tucky/WORKS/0050.html

I love the color scheme and construction as seen here;

http://member.nifty.ne.jp/ken-tucky/WORKS/0050-2.html

pat J

http://home.austin.rr.com/prj/