 Space / 17548
Re: Where does the Life on Mars theme fit in to the LEGO universe?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:05:42 GMT

In lugnet.space, Dave Johann writes:
In lugnet.space, Jesse Alan Long writes:
This may sound like a weird question but, if Life on Mars is indeed a LEGO
Space theme, why is it not any place in LEGO Space?  Even a link would be
nice, such as one to Star Wars.  If Life on Mars does not fit into LEGO
space, where does it fit into in the LEGO universe?  Is it a branch off of
Space Port?  I seriously doubt it, though the technology looks remarkably
similar to technology of that time in the LEGO Earth history.  My guess is
that the Life on Mars theme predates even Classic Space (in the LEGO Space
time line, not in real life) so I guess that Life on Mars is the first, at
least in LEGO Space terms, space series.

LOM is indeed an offshoot of Spaceport. Where did you think the Spaceport
shuttles ended up? :)

Seriously, though I liked LOM and would love to see it continued, I can
understand the ending of individual product lines. My one gripe is the lack of
an adequate replacement for LOM. Sorry, but Galidor just won't suffice.

Where does Alpha Team also fit into the LEGO universe?

Like Rock Raiders, Alpha Team is an entity unto itself. As cool as it is, it's
neither town, nor space, but a hybrid of both with some super spy stuff thrown
in.

Galidor also deserves mention as do lesser liked sets.

No it doesn't, but I digress.

We are preserving
the continuity of LEGO here, people, not being biased idiots favoring one
set over another.  Sure, some sets and product lines are horrible but we
must do LEGO a service and show them all.  LEGO looks to this web site as
their chief source of information.  We are also their future, whether we
like it or not in life.

Wow! As much as I love Lugnet, I don't see how this site is Lego's future. We
provide some cool ideas, and help them eveluate their product lines with regards
to TFOL and AFOL customers, but to think LUGNET is their 'chief source of
information' is probably overstating things a bit.

While we  are on this subject, I thought that I would mention that we need
to revamp the whole way that LUGNET is set up.  I hate having to resort to
looking through a Top View or Tree View map for a particular theme that is
mixed up with a whole other bunch of little branches such as CAD drawing and
off-topic subjects.  I mean, it works nice for an index but I think that we
need to be less biased and more truthful in here.  We need to include more
themes on the main page in order to keep traffic more freely flowing on here.

If it ain't broke.....

There are many things that the average person, such as myself, does not
understand in LUGNET, such as the hatred of Timmy or of Town Jr.  Why has no
one raised a whimper about LEGO Creator or the elimination of LEGO Duplo or
LEGO Primo?  LEGO Duplo was the second biggest market in LEGO next to the
other sets, yet no one seems to care about any of those things on here.  Why
have arguments over the silliest, most corny thoughts that a person could
think just to get some twisted, psychotic hatred out towards a little chunk
of ABS plastic?  Come on, people, there are bigger fish to fry out in the
world.  Grow up and move on or be immature and be left behind.

Try looking around a bit and you'll see a 2002 Duplo and Primo line-it just
doesn't use that name anymore. I like to think of it as re-naming a car just
beacuse it's released by a different part of the company. Perhaps Lego considers
the Duplo name to be 'long in the tooth'. Just because the name isn't on the
boxes anymore doesn't mean the parts aren't inside....

Regarding Timmy and Town Jr.-Timmy was always a silly minifig to base a theme
around, but I'll take Timmy over Jar Jar Binks anyday! Town Jr-some people
considered it to be the dumbing down of Town, but there's still parts in those
sets that Town can't touch (bay windows comes to mind), so I'll agree with you
there. Leave Town Jr. alone already....

<snip> A really brilliant person could then cause a
boycott and hurt the business of LEGO while at the same time own a lot of
stock in LEGO.  Of course, we could simply ask LEGO to be nice and allow the
classic themes to return but in the end, our voice counts.

Jesse Long

Uh, so all wa have to do is get MegaBlocks to buy up Lego stock.....

Sorry, I think this is a BAD idea. Lego is doing just fine without becoming a
smaller part of a larger conglomerate (think Hasbro).

-Dave

The point that you make about Duplo should have been obvious to me but for
some reason, it was not so I am sorry for acting like a meat head about it.
I was mainly concerned since I have a little nephew whom I am trying to
generate interest into LEGO.

Though I agree that Alpha Team is a genre unto itself, Rock Raiders is
clearly LEGO Space material.  I would say, as does LEGO, that, at least in
the terms of the LEGO Space time line and of the real world, that Rock
Raiders and Life on Mars existed around the same time and could have been
other little companies which came to Mars or some other planet around the
same time as Life on Mars or a few decades soon thereafter.  Of course, this
is simply an intricate theory and not all of the problems have not been
worked out of it so please understand the mess.

As for the remark concerning LUGNET not being the future of LEGO, we may not
be the future in all of the affairs of LEGO but the consumer, as well as
several other like minded web sites and web pages are most definitely the
future of LEGO.  One thing is for sure, in at least one aspect, possibly
two, we are definitely helping LEGO.  One area, and the most obvious area is
My Own Creation.  LUGNET basically owns that genre.  The other is LEGO
Legends.  Were LUGNET and other places online not so persistent about what
we wanted, LEGO would probably not exist or it would pull an Enron to
counteract its sloppy sales from the lack of support.  Thanks to us pulling
together, we are making a difference in not only the general fans of LEGO
but with the LEGO Company itself.

Jesse Long

P.S.  Mike, I like anime, too but I have my own little discussion that I
will save for later.