 Space / 1747
Re: New Blacktron I Creations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 17:02:50 GMT

terrific expansion of the blacktron theme (which just got cooler), frank!

..joseph g

In lugnet.space, Frank Filz writes:
Well, I got tired of never building any MOCs, and decided that the first
thing to do was to use up all those Blacktron parts I've been acquiring on
eBay. The results may be seen on my new Space Creations web page (WARNING -
the images are all on one page, about 774k worth, and unfortunately, I
haven't gone in and put size tags in yet so the page will load a little
slowly):

http://www.mindspring.com/~ffilz/Lego/space-creations.html

This was a lot of fun to build. I had a lot of fun putting together the
Challenger's cockpit section. Angled plates just kept finding a good place
to get a nicely shaped front. The side was a little fancier, but I ended up
putting in the black train window with yellow glass so that you could see
the rear section of the cockpit. Unfortunately, an almost all black interior
doesn't show through the trans-yellow plates very well.

I also re-worked the container module. I got tired of the cover always
falling off, plus, I didn't like the way it opened. My new container is 2
studs longer, but also seems to have a better profile. I REALLY wish a 3x3
quarter octagon TILE existed, it would make for a much better container.
Optionally, a 1x2 Technic beam with a smooth top instead of studs would be
nice (there is a slight gap at the rear of the cover because there is a 1x2
Technic beam with 2 holes stuck on top of the castle wall corner. This
provides the sockets for the 2 studs on a 1x2 hinge plate (which is
connected to a 1x2 hinge tile) to connect to. Unfortunately, while the cover
does stay on better, and opens much nicer, it does fall off occasionally.
The 1x2 hinge tiles are what usually pops off, but sometimes the 1x2 hinge
plate separates from the cover (especially at the forward end, which only
connects on one stud, a 1x1 Technic beam. The other stud fortunately fits
inside the castle wall). What was a little amazing is that the hinge plates
fit on a proper stud boundary.

Those big space wheels come to the rescue again as engines (I actually had
to go dig these out of a recent eBay acquisition, and clean them before
using...). There is a 3x3x2 cone inside each wheel, with 4 trans-red 1x1
cones to simulate rocket exhaust. I copied the use of the trans-red half
octagon plates on the engine (I guess they must be some kind of cooling
vane, obviously very hot). Other than that, the engine module is pretty
straight forward, most of it is the battery box (designed for easy removal).

With all 4 containers, plus the two spacers down the middle, the ship is
pretty sturdy. It does sag a little, but that is to be expected when using
the Technic connectors in this way. One thing I really would love to see is
some more trans-yellow parts. I toyed with the idea of using the 6x6
octagonal domes, but antifreeze ones just didn't look right. A large
trans-yellow tile with studs on 3 edges would make for a much more see
throughable roof. Trans-yellow 2x2x2 slopes would make a better side window,
and would be fairly transparent if not all scuffed up (like most of my
trans-yellow is).

As you can see, I have a few Blacktron I minifigs (I have more that I
haven't put together yet, plus two in Space Police sets).

I also had fun working the electrical components in. I also built a quick
little motorized radar dish using a micro-motor which plugs right onto the
battery box. I didn't take pictures of it because it looks a little dorky.

Frank