 Space / 1746
Re: New Blacktron I Creations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 15:33:45 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I only posted these creations to lugnet.space, but I thought I'd provide
a pointer, and also discuss one of the techniques I used (for those
who'se newsreader doesn't let them follow the references, here's the URL
of the article: http://www.lugnet.com/space/?n=1734 )

One of the "puzzles" I solved in this creation was to use the 3x3x6
castle walls as doors that flip open like the space shuttle cargo bay
doors. My solution was to put a 1x2 Technic beam with two holes on the
top of the wall and a 1x1 Technic beam on the bottom. Then I attached
1x2 plates with 3 hinge fingers at the end to the holes (on the bottom
1x1 beam, the 2nd stud fits inside the wall). Then these are attached to
the 1x2.5 tile with 2 hinge fingers on top). These two tiles wind up
well positioned, there are 5 studs between them. If two quarter octagon
plates are attached to the bottom of the wall section, the section will
line up flush with a wall of bricks. The top is harder to get smooth
since the requisite tile piece (a 3x3 quarter octagon) doesn't exist. If
the 1x2 Technic beam was available in a version without studs, that
would also work (and would then fit flush with a wall of bricks (if
anyone else knows of another part which will solve this problem, I'd
love to hear it. The 1x1 brick w/recessed stud (aka headlight brick)
doesn't work. The stud sticks out beyond the brick wall, plus it's side
profile would leave a gap. Fortuanately from the perspective of what I
was trying to build, the wall sections provide a sealed compartment.

Between the two hinge tiles, a 1x5 plate with a 1x5 tile on top are
needed to seal the wall. Of course these parts don't exist, but
combinations can be used. I actually used a 2x4 and a 1x2 plate on the
bottom layer, and then a pair of 1x2 grill tiles on top, with a 1x1 tile
w/top clip in the center (if the clip is aligned so a rod stuck into it
would be perpendicular to the wall, the wall will close down nicely
beside the clip).

There does happen to be a way to get the top flush, but I didn't have
the parts for it. You can plug the two holes of a 2nd 1x2 Technic beam
with 2 holes into the studs of the 1st Technic beam. You can then stick
a 1x2 inverse medium slope into the bottom of this beam, and a tile on
top of the beam. You then need to put a 1x2 tile beside the tile hinge.
The inverse slope brick will match the angle of the wall pretty well. My
problem is that I had 8 Blacktron I castle wall segments, and 8 black
1x2 Technic beams with 2 holes. This solution would work a little better
than using the non existant 3x3 quarter octagon tile, since that tile
would have to be stacked on 4 plates to get a total of 2 studs
thickness.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com