 Space / 16771
Re: moonbase inprogress teaser
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 20:08:52 GMT

In lugnet.space, Daniel Jassim writes:
In lugnet.space, Jesse Alan Long writes:
I really got your last name wrong?  I thought that I had it right, or was
that another post?

No problemo. We all make mistakes. Dan Jansen was an Olympic Speed Skater.

<snipped>

Dan, I like your capital ships, at least in terms of LUGNET Standard Capital
Ships, in mine, it would be considered a large fighter, but let us not get
nitpicky here, but do you not think that the one with the two large holes in
the front could use some doors?  I mean, I know that you are much more
experienced than me in terms of building space craft but doors would
definitely help in the design.

Think so? It seems that my 6 ft long A-Wing Carrier that holds 8 A-Wing
fighters would be considered a capital ship by any logical standard but
maybe I'm wrong? I think part of what makes something a capital ship is it's
function as well as size. I think any carrier by default is a capital ship.
It needs to be big because it has to fit other ships inside (hence, it is a
"carrier"). That's why fighters would need to be smaller than it. So I don't
think it's a LUGNET "standard" of any sorts, but rather the accepted logical
order of comparison and definition.

I cannot imagine a 6 ft long minifig scale fighter, but maybe I'm lacking
your imagination? Don't you think that would be an incredibly huge ship for
just one or two minifigs? Even at Technic scale, it would still be enormous.
Comparatively, it would be like a fighter the size of a C-5 Galaxy or 747.
Or are you saying you'd build a 6 ft long fighter but not at minifig or
Technic scale but rather more at 12" GI-Joe fig scale? Now that would make
sense. Or did you mean "freighter" and not "fighter?"

As far as adding doors to Gibraltar (the ship with the "two large holes in
front"), unfortunately I cannot because that ship doesn't exist anymore. I
took it apart as well as the A-Wing Carrier. However, my ships did have
"doors" in a way. The "large holes" leading to and from the ship's
flightdeck are energy shielded, so you can't really see the doors. They're
invisible and they're raised and lowered in sequence like an airlock so that
the ship's air doesn't escape. You just have to imagine they're there, which
shouldn't be too hard for you. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dan

Well, my fighters, at least my larger fighters, are only around the size of
a Deep Freeze Defender or a Galactic Mediator, which is roughly around 80 to
90 studs long, almost long enough to be considered a capital ship in LUGNET
terms.

Also, the ship that I had built was a destroyer that could convert into a
small space craft carrier because of the 43 ships and 6 vehicles that it
contained on board.  Also, it had VSTOL/VTOL-type thrusts that could convert
into some powerful laser beams due to my patented DualFire (TM) technology,
which could rain all sorts of fiery death and destruction on any enemies who
thought that attacking the under belly of a space craft would be fun and in
addition to that, there were 16 permanent cannons on the bottom should they
not get the message the first time.  I will explain the DualFire (TM)
technology in another paragraph so you will know what I mean, Dan.

The space craft is made at a LEGO minifig scale, as I may have implied, and,
no I do not have any of those 12" G.I. Joe action figures laying around here
in my house.  I was one of those children who grew up actually watching G.I.
Joe on television and by that time, they were only 3" or 4" tall.  However,
now, you can get both sizes and imposter G.I. Joe figures as well, also in
both sizes, but that is another matter entirely now, Dan.

As for my crew, at even a skeleton crew, I have at least 20 little LEGO
minifigs on board and 5 to handle the main control room.  I could have room
up to 84 people, including prisoners if I had the money to purchase more
LEGO sets online but I have spent three weeks visiting 28 places looking for
a job where I live so I could afford these LEGO sets.  (If you know where
the "M" cap is in that Pepsi "Cool Million" game, please let me know.)

To answer you about the ship having to be big in order to have room for all
of those smaller fighter craft, I never argued about it in the first place.
Anyone can see that carrier space craft have to be relatively huge in order
to carry all of those little fighter craft or else they would be packed in
there like sardines, break apart, and all you would have left is a broken
heap of LEGO space junk.

As to answer your response about the logical order of comparison and
definition versus a set LUGNET standard, I am mistaken.  The standards that
I compared were standards set by The Galactic Shipyard, which 99% of all
LUGNET Space people accept, and my standards, but to me, it is like standard
measures and metric measures.  Standard and metric measures are both unique
ways in order to measures things in life but both are comparable to each
other and can be converted to one unit of measurement or the other unit of
measurement.  It is like having a Spanish-English dictionary.  There are
things which are almost identical and sometimes identical in both languages
but more often than not, you have to convert the Spanish language into
English or vice versa.  This is the same logic between LUGNET and Galactic
Shipyard Standards and the Long Standards.

The doors thing sounded nice and I apologize for not being able to remember
the name of the vessel.  (I am looking for a job quite often now, so I can
not remember to do everything in life.  I happen to forget a few things in
my life because my life, as of late, has been rather busy and it will
probably become even worse in my life.)  For the doors, should you not have
adapted that technolgy to them, I would have gone with adding 2 or 3 of
those three sided windows that, when put together with another one of the
same dimensions, make an octagon.  The colors would not matter, however, but
translucent dark green, translucent blue, or translucent neon yellow green
would have been nice, Dan.

I feel sorry that the Gibralter and A-Wing Carrier do not exist anymore
because they were nice designed vessels.  I also apologize for writing so
much but I will be gone on vacation soon so it is necessary, Dan.

Jesse Long