 Space / 16770
Re: moonbase inprogress teaser
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 16:41:37 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jesse Alan Long writes:
I really got your last name wrong?  I thought that I had it right, or was
that another post?

No problemo. We all make mistakes. Dan Jansen was an Olympic Speed Skater.

<snipped>

Dan, I like your capital ships, at least in terms of LUGNET Standard Capital
Ships, in mine, it would be considered a large fighter, but let us not get
nitpicky here, but do you not think that the one with the two large holes in
the front could use some doors?  I mean, I know that you are much more
experienced than me in terms of building space craft but doors would
definitely help in the design.

Think so? It seems that my 6 ft long A-Wing Carrier that holds 8 A-Wing
fighters would be considered a capital ship by any logical standard but
maybe I'm wrong? I think part of what makes something a capital ship is it's
function as well as size. I think any carrier by default is a capital ship.
It needs to be big because it has to fit other ships inside (hence, it is a
"carrier"). That's why fighters would need to be smaller than it. So I don't
think it's a LUGNET "standard" of any sorts, but rather the accepted logical
order of comparison and definition.

I cannot imagine a 6 ft long minifig scale fighter, but maybe I'm lacking
your imagination? Don't you think that would be an incredibly huge ship for
just one or two minifigs? Even at Technic scale, it would still be enormous.
Comparatively, it would be like a fighter the size of a C-5 Galaxy or 747.
Or are you saying you'd build a 6 ft long fighter but not at minifig or
Technic scale but rather more at 12" GI-Joe fig scale? Now that would make
sense. Or did you mean "freighter" and not "fighter?"

As far as adding doors to Gibraltar (the ship with the "two large holes in
front"), unfortunately I cannot because that ship doesn't exist anymore. I
took it apart as well as the A-Wing Carrier. However, my ships did have
"doors" in a way. The "large holes" leading to and from the ship's
flightdeck are energy shielded, so you can't really see the doors. They're
invisible and they're raised and lowered in sequence like an airlock so that
the ship's air doesn't escape. You just have to imagine they're there, which
shouldn't be too hard for you. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dan