 Space / 16405
Re: Moonbase & 32x32 landing pads
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 16:51:36 GMT

In lugnet.space, Roger Rothhaar writes:
As the size of the moonbase continues to increase it would seem
to require support from larger spacecraft than those which would
be accomodated by the "moon's surface"(48x48 plates). I wouldn't
think there would be stripes painted on the surface:)

There has been some discussion of the 32x32 landing plates, mainly
how they do not fit the standard footprint except in certain combinations.

I offer:

http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=221071

from an earlier experiment with modularity as an example of
how the 32x32 plates could be used. These landing pads would represent
reinfoced structures to support larger spacecraft. Possibly with internal
power/fueling support, landing beacons, tractor beam equipment for
auto-landing, etc. Although single pads are shown, larger arrangements
could be made.

My work doesn't have structures or corridors to link with the standard
(I'm not a prolific structure builder) but the method might be adaptable.

roger

I think you have a nice start but it creates clearance issues for ground
vehicles and people. Perhaps some ramps at various locations would help.

You could look at a level landing pad as being a ground level foundation
that is painted. Since the cement would be made with moon rock it is the
same colour, unless your plate is yellowed. :-)

Jude