 Space / 1523
Re: Some general discussion things
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 00:15:57 GMT

In lugnet.space, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.space, Jonathan Wilson writes:
I like the concept of Artic, but not the implimentation.  It could
have been done so much better with non-Jr-ized pieces and sans cheesy

Arctic is good. It is prototypical (except for the ice ball and etc).
It has some great elements:
The parka
The snowshoes
The skis
The large wall sections (I really like them even if some people don't)
The catterpiller tracks

I was freaked-out initially by the mild juniorization of the Artic sets
(it's not really extreme juniorization like the 2000 City Center sets),
but for me, to a large extent, that's made up for by things like the great
elements Jonathan mentions above, and others like the octagonal corridor
corners and the new wall pieces with lab-style windows.

Agreed. I've already thought of a few other uses for most of the things
mentioned above.

IMO, the lab windows are akin to the Divers' type of small round windows.
Often, after I get used to seeing pieces like that, I usually think to
myself, "well, they're okay.. really. But they just don't last long enough on
the shelf for me to buy a bunch to make anything worthwhile with them." As it
is, sometimes only one color is available in considerable quantity in only one
set, which is usually considerably priced.

I can't help
thinking _Outland_ (the movie) when I see those Artic window-walls.  :)

Yeah, that movie had a base set design all its own that I rather liked. Much
more plausible than Alien(s) IMO.

-Tom McD.
when replying, new Frosted Spamflakes! now with 8 essential vitamins and iron!