 Space / 1510
Re: Some general discussion things
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 04:43:07 GMT

In lugnet.space "Nan Zhou" <dimok_ripoblus@Yahoo.com> wrote:

1. I know arctic is not a space subtheme, but how would you rate Arctic vs.
Ice Planet 2002?  In my opinion arctic sucks because it is mainly a
nonfuturistic town theme, but Ice Planet probably had the worst clashing of
colors ever.  Ice Planet in a TKO.

I like the concept of Artic, but not the implimentation.  It could
have been done so much better with non-Jr-ized pieces and sans cheesy
iceball/crater piece and trans-scorpion.  OTOH, Ice Planet, colors
included, ROCKS.  I LOVE the trans-orange both on those sets and as a
color in general.  The blue and white clearly fit an ice theme as
well.  2 thumbs way up to IP2002, one of my favorite Space subthemes.

2. What are your thoughts on Unitron, the poor US-only subtheme that didn't
even survive a full 2 years?  I had great hopes for collecting all four of the
sets, including the giant monorail, but the set was discontinued before I
coudl only get one.  Unitron was a great subtheme, but they never bothered to
expand it or anything.

Unitron was a mediocre subtheme, plagued by a couple cheesy spaceships
which didn't seal off completely - one of TLG's big flaws in producing
space material.  The monorial had promise, but was poorly implimented
as well.  There was no central concept or objective behind Unitron, as
there had been for every other theme up to this date (IMO) - even
though sometimes you would have to dig for that objective.  The only
purely good set in Unitron IMO was the Star Hawk II.  The base was
severely lacking, the Crater Cruiser was lacking severely from
functionality and purpose that similar past models had, and the
Monorail didn't capture the coolness of its predecessor, the Futuron
monorial (I own the Futuron, and have seen the Unitron in action).

Unitron was clearly a 'we can't think of anything better for the US
market, so we won't put a whole lot of effort into it' subtheme.

3. Do you think that it would be good if lego started re-releasing the old
space sets, like a couple years from now maybe releasing the five original
blacktron sets so that those people who have heard of the legendary days of
blacktron only in myth can fully experience the coolness of the subtheme.  I
really wanna get all of those space sets I missed out on.  I think that lego
has some kind of divine policy against rereleasing any sets, but I believe
that rereleasing blacktron will cause a great skyrocketing in lego business.

You are about the 1,489,382nd person to suggest this.  We all want a
rerelease of the classic sets, but I sincerely doubt TLG will do this
- within the next 10 years.  It will take a while for Lego Direct to
get in gear just with the bulk parts, and then at least 5 years longer
for us to really see our suggestions reflected in the product line.
Perhaps by the time they get to re-releasing classics, the collectors
who remember them will be long gone.

Still, I think re-releasing them would be REALLY cool.  But
realistically, its not gonna happen.

-Tim

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org