 Space / 1506
Re: Page 7 of Spring S@H catalog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 02:36:52 GMT

In lugnet.space, Ben Gatrelle writes:
The Ultimate LEGO Book, on page 18, says "1979 First Space Kit."

I noticed that while looking through it the other day, and cringed.  (Hey,
I'm a proud pedant!  :-)

Not only did the writer there use the word "kit" instead of "set" or "building
set," but the first LEGOLAND Space sets were announced in 1978 -- no doubts.
The sets say (c)1978, and I also remember seeing them at a small touring LEGO
expo[1] open to the public in August of 1978, getting ready for the 1978
Christmas selling season.  They didn't show up in stores until November or
December, but it definitely was 1978 and not 1979.

Maybe they date these like cars, you can get the 2001 model in the year
2000, 2000 in 1999, etc. Maybe they call these 1979 models that were
released in 1978?

That's the only thing I can figure!  But I'm also generally skeptical about
any kind of official external documents that TLC produces, because they're so
often riddled with small mistakes or inconsistencies.  I have to wonder how
much access to official and _accurate_ data the writer(s) of that book had.

Still, a great book, IMHO!

--Todd

[1] Minneapolis, MN (USA), Downtown Dayton's, 8th Floor