 Space / 14836
Re: Ice Planet Entry: Scissor Wing IV - pov ray color tweaking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build.contests
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 17:16:02 GMT

"Tim Romine" <enimor7@juno.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.space, Richard Marchetti writes:
Did you really use trans-orange or is that flat out trans-red?  It's fine
either way, I am just trying to figure out why the orange is so fiery. • Did
you tweak the images in something like photoshop?

-- The Ice Worm

Just a little helpful (hopefully) hint:

If you use the LGEO library through POV-Ray, Trans-Orange comes out red • like
this.  The way I fix it is to edit the POV file.  It's actually not hard:

1.  Scroll through the top stuff till you get to color definitions.

2.  Find the definition for "Color57"

3.  Change the rgb values to taste (personally, I change it from • <1.0,0.4,0>
to <1.0,0.55,0>.  I also change the "filter" value from 0.95 to 0.85 to • make
it show the color a little better, but that's just me)

4.  Save the file and render.

Just thought this might come in handy, Ice Planet 2002 contest and all...

Hope this helps  :^D

Tim Romine
AFOL for life

That's a nice trans-fluoro orange - I wish I'd used it before I rendered my
entry.  I forgot that changing the filter value can change the shade (I've
pretty much started using .9 for all trans element filter values).  Anyway,
I just posted this to my site:

http://www.band.calpoly.edu/~tsciorti/colors.txt

It's a collection of color tweak values that I've come up with, along with a
short tutorial on how to do it yourself.  If nothing else, I hope they make
a good starting point to get the colors you want.

While I'm here, I might as well share another trick...  Often, lowering the
floor farther away from the model (much farther) can help bring out details
by getting those shadows out of the way.  Do this by scrolling to the bottom
of the pov file, looking for the //Floor line, and raising the y value a
lot.  Typically, I make it around 2000.  Why positive y is down, I have no
idea.  While you're there, you can also change the color of the floor by
editing its rgb values, just as with the colors.

Very cool model.  Love the classic space emblem...  (I only tease because I
did the same exact thing in my rendering ;)   Emblem aside, it has a tiny
bit of classic space feel, but you've also captured the jagged iceplanet
feel very well.  And detachable recon parts are always cool.  Do you have
any shots from undereath or with the recon part removed?  I kind of want to
see the inside details.  :)  Guess I'll just download the .dat.

        -- Tom