 Space / 14366
Re: Star Blazers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 03:39:32 GMT

In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw writes:
The Yamato!  The first spaceship in my childhood consciousness.  Still
remember looking bleary-eyed at the tube, 6:30 Saturday mornings for years.

I've always wanted to build a Yamato, but of course it would have to be
minifig scale and of course I would have to buy about $1000 in bricks, and
of course I would have to quit my job, and of course......

   $1000?  Maybe if you were building it in microfig scale, you
   could get away with that few bricks!  I'm estimating that my
   new cruiser[1]--done primarily in dark grey--will probably contain
   somewhere between $10,000 and $12,000 in brick/plate/etc, at
   my cost of acquisition (which is a lot lower than actual cost
   of acquisition at MSRP).  A Star Blazers Yamato would need a
   full hull ($$) and be 5 times the mass overall ($$$$$$$).  I am
   forever amazed at how fast the cost ramps up as creations grow
   in size--I'd love to see the brick count in the Star Destroyer
   that toured with LEGO's imagination show back in 1999.

   But Dan, you've brought back a LOT of great memories with your
   sketches.  What's more, you've encouraged me to make a new effort
   to get my scanner working and digitize some of my own concept
   drawings.  I'm endlessly fascinated by the way that people generate
   and refine ideas; it seems that everyone works a little bit
   differently.

   best

   LFB

   [1] .boats/.build.military variety, not .space...