 Space / 12145
12144  |  12146
Subject:
The Ships of Homeworld and Cataclysm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 03:31:31 GMT

I'm currently working on a Homeworld-themed fleet for a lego space wargame
that my friends and I made.  Problem is, all my ship measurements are based
on the Somtaaw's Acolyte Interceptor, and I can't seem to build a microfig
version of this.  I've done about 10 different renditions of it, and none of
them give the smooth look I'm seeking.  I'm also under size constraints.
This is because a Somtaaw Multibeam Frigate is 4.5 times as long as the
Acolyte.  Thus, if the microfig Acolyte is 3 LU long, the frigate must be
13-14.  However, if that's expanded to 6 LU long, the frigate is 27.  This
might not seem like alot, but it would make the Carriers and Dreadnoughts
around 81 LU.  This is not good, since I want a massive fleet full of
multiple copies of every Homeworld ship ever created.  Yes, I am obsessed
;).  My current Acolyte is about 4 or 5 LU long and totally fails to capture
the smoothness and shape of its pixelated brother.  If anyone can make some
3-4 LU long renditions of the Acolyte and post them to Brickshelf, I would
be eternally thankful.  Some other designs that are just hard for me to
capture are those of the old Kushan Corvettes and Interceptors.  Once I get
past this hell of fighters and bombers, I can start up on making capital
ships--which I excel at.

Also, I WILL be making a microfig Kuun-Lan (Somtaaw Mining Mothership) to
scale with the rest of the ships.  It will be 90 studs long if all goes well
and I can make 3-stud Acolytes, but it'll be worth it.  When I said I'd make
every ship in the Homeworld Universe earlier, I actually, um, fibbed a
bit--I won't be making the Kushan Mothership as it's too vertically massive
to be of any use in our wargames, or the Taiidan Mothership as it's just
plain ugly.  I do plan on making some other rare or lesser known vessels
though, such as all of the Kadeshi ships, the Naggarok (I am estimating 110
studs long), and all of the Turanic and miscellaneous ships.

If someone can get me a picture of some Homeworld 2 ships, or an Empress
Carrier, I'll do those too.  However, the Empress may be a challenge as it
will be around 120 studs long--bigger than the Naggarok and the Kuun-Lan.