 Space / 11724
Re: The S.E.T.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 24 Nov 2001 05:54:18 GMT

In lugnet.space, Kyle Keppler writes:

Wow. Incredibly odd, yet incredibly cool looking? For some reason, I really
like the transparent bay at the rear. Nice use of hinges and such. What was
your inspiration for this baby?

thanks, I am glad you think it looks odd  :)

I don't what was making this shape happen... I just sketch ship concepts all
the time in my notebook, usually based around certain functions... and this
is what I came up with when I put a few unrelated ideas together.

The bay was mostly inspired by a Brickbay purchase I made courtesy of Troy
C's insane buying (and thankfully, selling) habits  :)

the side 'arms' exist mostly to keep the front and back sections of the ship
from spinning independantly of each other.  The grey arctic walls are
something I have wanted to use in a ship for a while, and this leaped out as
a perfect opportunity.

The front was inspired by a large battleship with a really flat face and
wide profile I saw in an anime.

The gravity rooms are something I have wanted to do for a long time, and
will definately explore the concept more in my next large ship.  The droid
escape panels were the last missing piece of the puzzle, and once I got
enough, I had to try it.

The rotating thing is awesome. I have stared at your little gyro thing many
separate times for hours it seems, and I still haven’t a clue how it works.
Is it one of those things you have to see IRL to really understand?

lol... probably... I haven't explained it too well I'm afraid, I want to
make it in Ldraw, but too many of the parts just don't exist yet officially
to do it.  I haven't dismantled the middle section yet, if you like I can
take some pics of the rototube as I am taking it apart.  Until then:

The basic concept is centered around my goal of creating a passageway into a
rotating section that minifigs could use.  The passage cylinder is made with
4 droid escape panels:

http://www.brickbay.com/catalogItem.asp?PartID=30562

These pass through a circular hole in the rotating wall made of over and
under arches:

http://www.brickbay.com/catalogItem.asp?PartID=2339

and

http://www.brickbay.com/catalogItem.asp?PartID=30099

through the cylinder, a couple of long technic beams (sans studs) are passed
through and locked with technic pins on both ends to ensure the whole thing
stays together:

http://www.brickbay.com/catalogItem.asp?PartID=32278

Once you have all these together, make two of these contraptions, and those
become the axle around which the rotating section turns.  After that, you
can kind of play around and make up your own way of making it all come
together  :)

hope that helps!
Joel K