 Space / 11558
Re: Space MOC page updated! New blacktron fighter and new VTOL transport
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 19:49:26 GMT

Tony Hafner <hafhead@PANTSplanetquake.com> wrote in message
I actually updated a little while ago, but this is the official
announcement.  There are two new models: the Skyhop, which is a small • VTOL
vehicle based on the hoverthing from the movie A.I.  The other is a
Blacktron 1 style fighter I named Intruder.

Very cool models!  I especially like the wing arrangement on the Apollo. • Is
it possible to build it in that color scheme?

The tale of the actual model is a 2x8 plate rather than a 3x6 half-octagon
like in the raytrace.  I don't have that piece in yellow, and I don't see it
in any officially released space models up to 1997 (I'm using Fibblesnork as
a reference here), so I can't confirm that it exists.  The only other change
is the yellow 1x1 cones near the cockpit.  They're trans red on the actual
model but yellow in the raytrace.  Again, I just don't have the pieces, but
I'm pretty sure they're out there in that color.  Everything else is sitting
right in front of me exactly as shown as I type this.     ;)

The Skyraider II is my favorite model there.  The wing pods remind me of • the
engine nacelles in classic Star Trek, but there's a totally different feel
to the rest of the model.  The presentation is good too- that spacey
background rocks!  And, of course, it is real.  Real models always grab me
more than virtual stuff.

That space background was actually a wall mural of Saturn and three of its
moons in my old bedroom.  Unfortunately, we moved out of that house a few
years ago.  :(

I actually build all of my models from real pieces first, then put them into
the computer for display on the web.  I just can't work with virtual pieces;
I real pieces in order to make a form.  I raytrace because the pictures are
always in perfect focus, can be taken at any angle (no intrusive pedestal or
strings hanging the model), and details are usually much clearer.  Also, I
don't really have that great a parts supply, so I often have a hard time
finding all the colors I want.  Intruder was actually done up in white,
blue, red, trans blue, yellow, etc...  it was a psychadelic patchwork mess,
but once I put it in the computer, it looked much better.  But you are
right - it's not completely buildable in real life because I've never seen a
black canopy.  (or a custom bumper sticker  ;)

I do have one small complaint about the page- although that background is
really cool, it makes it kind of hard to read the text.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com

Hmmmm... haven't gotten that complaint before, but I can darken the
background image a bit.  It bugs me when people use a flashy background
image and you can't even read what's on the page.  I'll get right on it.
Wow, I had no idea so many people liked to work with Invader.  Your mod of
Invader is pretty cool!

                ~ Tom