 Space / 10964
Re: Sensors, thrusters and turret
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 03:49:38 GMT

In lugnet.space, Daniel Jassim writes:
In lugnet.space, Aaron M. Sneary writes:
This ship makes me want to keep building new space ships

Cool. I know it seems like this ship just keeps popping up here. I thought
it would help give others ideas if I shared a few of the ship's secrets.

Thank you very much for the reverse engineering. You crammed a lot of stuff
into a small ship. Do you have an apprx piece count?

Whew, I'm guessing about 1,000? I know my red and black Spiffcrafts have 104
pieces so, the way I build stuff, there's lots of small pieces for detail
that increase the overall piece count in the Avenger.

How large is the interior? All the photos and storys I've seen suggest that >there's a lot of space inside, but I don't see how with all those gizmos.

The general width of the ship is 6 studs, so the interior is 4 studs because
of the walls. There are 3 decks inside and it's roomy enough to build a nice
interior. However, I never built the ship with a means of opening it up to
show the interior. The top deck has the cockpit and gun turret, the mid deck
is bunks and storage, and the bottom deck is the airlock and entry ramp.

Which direction did you work- from
the battery packs and lighting fixtures out, or basic shape and work the
components into the pre existing shape?

I guess I made the basic shape then added stuff. However, the first version
I made (from the original story) had the basic look I wanted but lacked any
realistic grit so I totally junked it and started from scratch.

I began with the "nose" and worked my way back. I finished with a version
without landing gear or sensors and with the brown barrel engines. But it
now had pivoting wings and a better looking gun turret. Because the engines
were modular and could snap on and off pretty easy, I decided to design an
alternate engine module with lights that connected exactly the way the other
one did. After that was added, it was so heavy that the ship wouldn't sit
flat so I made the landing gear in the back with shock absorbers and the
front gear that retracted into the nose cone. To balance out the weight a
little more, I added another battery pack (hiding it under the tan "nostril"
domes) and flashing lights in front. But they weren't that bright so I put
in the fiber optics. Now the ship is the way I want it.

Dan

Hey Dan, WAY cool BTW.  One question:  since you now have it the way you
want it, what is the likelyhood that you will destroy it?  >:)

I myself have a couple of things that I can't bring my self to destroy so
far, but I'm breaking down....

~Trev
Astro Lift Co.