 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 469
Re: New pbForth 2.1.0 (and firmware speed)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 16:49:06 GMT

Thanks Ralph, this is great news. I just got the new USB tower, and
considering my revived interest for pbForth your new version arrives really
at the right time.

What IMHO would really boost the spreading of pbForth, is the availability
of some good example scripts. If you, or the other Forth masters, could find
the time to prepare some prototypical examples, I'm sure they would be
greatly appreciated by many potential users.

One of the things I feel more the need of, is a good example of a
"supervisor", the part of the code in charge of managing the buttons,
executing the real task the program is designed for, return the control to
the interpreter or switch off the RCX. This is what I mean:

http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/pbforth/?n=431

I *might* be able to write such a thing, but I'm not sure at all, and for
sure getting it debugged would take me a lot of time :-)

Ciao
Mario

"Ralph Hempel" <rhempel@bmts.com> writes:
For everyone that has been interested in firmware
speed over the last few days, I am ready
to announce the latest version of pbForth.

This version supports the USB tower under Windows!!!!

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbForth/download.htm>

An empty loop of 20,000 interations takes less than
1 second with pbForth, and you get a fully interactive
development environment, with inline assembler support
coming shortly, thanks to Lugnet contributors.

Major changes include:

1. Support for USB tower under Windows
2. Serial port settings changed to 2400,0,8,1 (odd parity)
3. Passes full ANSI test suite of 800 tests
4. Kernel size is about 10K
5. Much more reliable communication

Please give it a try and note any installation problems.
Report any problems to the robotics.rcx.pbforth group.

I'll be updating docs and adding application notes, on the
main pbForth weblog page at:

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbForth>

Cheers,

Ralph

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbForth>

Buy "Extreme Mindstorms: an Advanced Guide to Lego Mindstorms"
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1893115844/hempeldesigngrou>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com