 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 446
445  |  447
Subject:
Support for pbForth in BricxCC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 21:05:09 GMT

I've started a project recently related to pbForth.  And I'm interested in
some community feedback.  Last night I wrote a preliminary pbForth syntax
highlighter for the editor component I use in BricxCC.  And I modified
BricxCC slightly so that you can open .4th files in BricxCC and get syntax
highlighting in the editor.  It's early in the process, but I'm fairly
pleased with the results so far.  It's not perfect but most of the words
that I think exist in pbForth are highlighted in some fashion or another.

I've also made it so BricxCC lists other firmware types (.srec files) in the
firmware download open dialog.  I have also had a suggestion that I add some
sort of two-way communication mechanism into BricxCC for downloading
programs and interacting with pbForth running on the RCX.

Is there much community interest in this sort of capability?  I've struggled
to find detailed up-to-date documentation for exactly what you can do in
pbForth.  Does pbForth support the entire set of CORE (and CORE-EXT) words
of ANS Forth?  Is there a document anywhere that lists all the words in
pbForth's built-in dictionary?  I'm interested in details regarding the
communication mechanism with pbForth so I can figure out whether I can get
it to work in BricxCC or not (or whether it is worth the effort).

Thanks in advance for any help/comments.

John Hansen