 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 451
RE: Support for pbForth in BricxCC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 05:10:03 GMT

I've started a project recently related to pbForth.  And I'm interested in
some community feedback.  Last night I wrote a preliminary pbForth syntax
highlighter for the editor component I use in BricxCC.

John,

This is great news! My own Tcl based GUI is a bit lacking, and a grand
unified firmware uploader sounds like a great idea. I've been away
on holidays and conferences most of the month, so I've missed most
of this thread.

Quick question, does BrickCC work on Macs and PCs?

I've also made it so BricxCC lists other firmware types (.srec files) in the
firmware download open dialog.  I have also had a suggestion that I add some
sort of two-way communication mechanism into BricxCC for downloading
programs and interacting with pbForth running on the RCX.

pbForth expects 2400,n,8,1 on the serial port. The tower echoes back every
and then any output from the words is added to it. The trick is pacing
so that you can send the next line. If you carefully dump the serial data
stream from the new pbForth (2.0.x) you will see that I added a little cheat.

When in console mode, pbForth sends an XON character when it's ready to
accept more input. After the CR at the end of the line, pbForth sends an
XOFF. This primitive form of pacing works pretty well.

Is there much community interest in this sort of capability?  I've struggled
to find detailed up-to-date documentation for exactly what you can do in
pbForth.  Does pbForth support the entire set of CORE (and CORE-EXT) words
of ANS Forth?  Is there a document anywhere that lists all the words in
pbForth's built-in dictionary?  I'm interested in details regarding the
communication mechanism with pbForth so I can figure out whether I can get
it to work in BricxCC or not (or whether it is worth the effort).

As always, suppporting this stuff is hard. John, let me know what you need
and I'll try to help as quickly as I can.

Cheers, Ralph

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbForth>

Buy "Extreme Mindstorms: an Advanced Guide to Lego Mindstorms"
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1893115844/hempeldesigngrou>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com