 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 41
Re: Ir transmission
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 02:51:25 GMT

As far as multitasking goes, we really need to figure
out how many tasks we need. There are essentially six tasks in the RCX as far
as I can tell. They independently handle things like motors, sensors, timers,
RCX code, etc.

Well, in the spirit of FORTH there should be no finite number, just create and
destroy them on the fly as and whan you need them. I have been wandering around
the internet looking and found that hForth has one already:

\ hForth multitasker
\
\ Originally written by Bill Muench.
\ Adapted to hForth by Wonyong Koh
\
\ Usage:
\   HAT  ( user_size ds_size rs_size "<spaces>name" -- )
\       Run-time: ( -- tid )
\      Create a new task.
\   BUILD  ( tid -- )
\      Initialize and link new task into PAUSE chain.
\   ACTIVATE  ( tid -- )
\      Activate the task identified by tid. ACTIVATE must be used
\      only in definition. The code following ACTIVATE must not
\      EXIT. In other words it must be infinite loop like QUIT.
\   .TASKS  ( -- )
\      Display tasks list in status-follower chain.
\   SLEEP  ( tid -- )
\      Sleep another task.
\   AWAKE  ( tid -- )
\      Awake another task.
\   PAUSE  ( -- )
\      Stop current task and transfer control to the task of which
\      'status' USER variable is stored in 'follower' USER variable
\      of current task.
\   STOP  ( -- )
\      Sleep current task.

Looks like everything I could need there.
--
John Cooper, Wallington, UK