 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 19
RE: Ir transmission
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 02:46:33 GMT

Hi,
is there any way to send IR messages using pbForth.  This is in order to use
the IR proximity detector commonly used with nqc programs.
Also I think that with alternative firmware such as pbForth and nqc, it
should be possible to do it without using the light sensor, just the IR com
link.
Thank you for your thoughts on the subject

YES!!! The standard FORTH word U. prints an insigned integer, while
EMIT sends out an arbitrary byte. So, for a simple IR proximity detector,
you would write something like:

HEX

   0 SENSOR_ACTIVE (labelled sensor #1)
3 1 SENSOR_TYPE   (light sensor )
80 0 SENSOR_MODE   (in percent mode )

: LIGHT? ( sensor -- value )
  BEGIN
    DUP SENSOR_READ 0=
  UNTIL
  SENSOR_VALUE ;

: IR-TEST

  BEGIN
    FF EMIT ( Sends out the FF character )
    1 LIGHT?
      3002 SWAP 301F LCD_NUMBER LCD_REFRESH

    BUTTON_GET 1 AND
  UNTIL
  ;

This should work, its not tested. you might put a hard spin loop
after the EMIT to make sure the code is going out before sampling the
light sensor.

something like:

100 0 DO LOOP

should give you a delay. I'll provide some timing on the web site
soon!

Type IR-TEST to start sampling, the LCD should show the % reading
until you press RUN/STOP to stop the program.

Now, once you set a sensor for light, I think its RED (not IR)
LED comes on. You might want to block its output as described in
my page.

Can anyone confirm that the red LED is ALWAYS on? Can it be
shut off and will the sensor still work?

Thanks for trying pbFORTH!!!

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.bmts.com/~rhempel/lego/pbFORTH/default.html>