 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 217
RE: wired expiriences UPLOADING & SAVE-IMAGE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 14:19:19 GMT

Carsten wrote:

first of all, i'll have to say, that i'm very glad to have a FORTH on
the RCX but, and the but is a big one, there are some problems if you
want to develop some even small pieces of code.
First of all, the downloading of source is very boring. It remembers me
to the good old day, when we can have a coffee break when starting a
compiler. The infrared link is very unreliable for me. I have to set a
line delay of 100 ms and a character delay of 80 ms (really) and even
with this delays, it is not guarantied, that the source is transmitted
correctly. This heavily removes the fun from programming little robots.
I have tested the link under several conditions, but nothing seams to
help. I think, there should be a implementation of LOAD, for the RCX,
which implements a reliable download of source to the RCX (YMODEM?
ZMODEM?).

Yes, you are right. I have the char delay to about 10 or 20 msec and the
line delay at 100msec. Remember that your monitor and other IR sources
may interfere with comms to the RCX. Try fresh batteries and put the
bot and tower under a box...

I also have (maybe available soon) a script that pulls all the white space
and comments out of a FORTH source file. This helps a LOT.

This is the link to the second point. I can't get the SAVE-SYSTEM word
to upload the SRECs to the host. Has any one experiences with
SAVE-SYSTEM an 'rx' under UNIX?

Are you using XMODEM at the host side?

I'm sorry I've been so busy lately. I'm trying like heck to pull a release
with all of Sergey's fixes together, and I have everything compiled but
I can't find a decent Win9x app that does XMODEM!!! Eveything I've tried
does ZMODEM and YMODEM, but XMODEM is so stupid that hardly anyone bothers
to implement it!

Be patient, I'll have something for everyone to play with over Christmas.
Also, Once SAVE-SYSTEM works, Dave Baum's new NQC has a 4x firmware uploader
that makes loding a breeze.

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>