 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 216
Re: wired expiriences UPLOADING & SAVE-IMAGE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 11:53:08 GMT

Hi Carsten,

Nice to see an interest to the subject (even not so cheerful ;)

Ok, first question, you are right, it's quite boring. But this is the price
for "power". I believe that only direct byte-code uploading will be faster. My
only suggestion - use some alternative uploader. For instance, I’m using my
own Java implementation. My usual settings are 0 ms for character delay and
100 ms for line delay. In additional, my uploader suppresses all blanks
(including the comments). So, I have loaded quite big programs (even packages
from other Forth systems) relatively fast.
Choice to use the standard terminal is up to you. You can adapt/implement/use
anything that sends a byte steam into the COM port.

Second question, I have tested SAVE-SYSTEM word only under the Windows
(NT/98). I will try it under the Cygwin emulation today (don't have any Unix
box running now). Not sure I have 'cu' somewhere around, but I will try.
Could you explain little bit more the problem with SAVE-SYSTEM word?

Regards
Sergey

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, Carsten Müller writes:
Hello,

first of all, i'll have to say, that i'm very glad to have a FORTH on
the RCX but, and the but is a big one, there are some problems if you
want to develop some even small pieces of code.
First of all, the downloading of source is very boring. It remembers me
to the good old day, when we can have a coffee break when starting a
compiler. The infrared link is very unreliable for me. I have to set a
line delay of 100 ms and a character delay of 80 ms (really) and even
with this delays, it is not guarantied, that the source is transmitted
correctly. This heavily removes the fun from programming little robots.
I have tested the link under several conditions, but nothing seams to
help. I think, there should be a implementation of LOAD, for the RCX,
which implements a reliable download of source to the RCX (YMODEM?
ZMODEM?).
This is the link to the second point. I can't get the SAVE-SYSTEM word
to upload the SRECs to the host. Has any one experiences with
SAVE-SYSTEM an 'rx' under UNIX?

I'm working with Linux and 'cu' to connect to the RCX and 'ascii-xfer'
to transfer sources to the RCX.
Regards Carsten Müller