 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 157
Re: fast firmware downloader
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:43:58 GMT

In article <3817CD9D.4B623B1@augustschell.com>, Wes Matchett
<wes@augustschell.com> wrote:

Dave Baum wrote:

I'll start by pulling the 4x code into the NQC source base.  That should
make it trivial to build a stand-alone command line based downloader for
Win32 (95/nt/98), Linux, Solaris, and Mac 68k/ppc under MPW.  We could
also get Win3.1 and DOS covered if someone could supply the necessary
serial port code (there's a single class that implements all serial I/O -
port the class and you're in business).

I'm willing to cover the DOS port since I'm working on a DOS->RCX comm project
already.  I already have my HP LX200 doing minimal comm with the RCX with hopes
of having it ride alongside as a computational component.

-Wes Matchett

Wes,

A good place to start with the porting is to grab the latest NQC source
code from www.enteract.com/~dbaum/nqc and take a look at the family of
PSerial classes in the platform directory.  Create a new class (e.g.
PSerial_dos) that implements the generic PSerial interface.  Once that is
complete, the RCX_Link class (which manages communication with the RCX)
should work just fine.  You can build nqc in its entirety, or just wrap a
small main() around RCX_Link to send a few commands depending on your
needs.

If you do the port by creating a new PSerial_dos class (rather than
modifying any of the other existing code), then the DOS support can be
easily folded back into the main release and carried forward for any
future releases as well.
Dave

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com