 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 382
Re: fast firmware downloader - and compilers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 03:28:08 GMT

Ralph Hempel wrote:
I'll have to try fastdl at some point. My pbFORTH image
is assembled to live at 0x8000 and be loaded just like
"real" firmware. If I use fastdl, how do I have to
change my firmware assembly output to accomodate it?

Not at all ;-)

fast.srec works like this:

- load new image, storing it immediately behind fast.srec
- fix stack pointer, you'll start new firmware anyways
- relocate a small routine immediately below SP
- call that routine
- relocate the loaded image to 0x8000
- clear remaining memory
- call 0x8000

The first few stack operations should erase the last remains of the
loader.

I just tried downloading the original firmware, firm0309.lgo, and that
works just fine, too. In 49 seconds.

Sounds kinda like the same issues a configurable kernel might
have. Let's talk at Mindfest and see if we can't come up with a
source tree that makes it dead simple to configure a kernel
with the stuff you want.

By all means, yes. The main problem right now is rebuilding all kernel
components according to the configuration headers. That way, each
project should use the same kernel sources, but generate its own pair of
compiled objects. Also, projects should be able to override parts of the
kernel, say, kmain.c. I have an idea right now.

%.o: %.c
... do stuff

%.o: ../kernel/%.c
... do stuff

Add -I. to CFLAGS to read a local configuration file, some smart moves
with dependencies, and we're set?

That's when they get a crash course in CVS and make...

Yes! Time to bolster my status as Mr. Make with my fellow students ;-)

--
"Sentir est le rival de Comprendre, comme Agir est l'antagonisme de
Penser."