 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 390
Re: fast firmware downloader
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 14:00:06 GMT

Kekoa Proudfoot wrote:
The URL is: http://graphics.stanford.edu/~kekoa/rcx/firmdl3.c

Just in the nick of time?  The original firmdl.c was dated 10/3/98.  It is
currently 10/3/99 (PDT at least).  This was not planned!

[mlnoga@mauve mlnoga]$ make firmdl3
cc     firmdl3.c   -o firmdl3
firmdl3.c:146: rcx_comm.h: No such file or directory
firmdl3.c:569: srec.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [firmdl3] Error 1

Seems to me we're both getting a little hasty here ;-) You need to
remove those two leftover lines.

Checking the strip flag before copying the s-record lines is a really
clever idea, and that of cause explains the huge gain in speed for
firm0309.lgo. For gcc-generated files, however, no difference should be
apparent. You're saving the 0x55 and 0x00 header bytes, I was using a
larger transfer size.

Other than that, much parallel evolution everywhere. The minor
differences are most interesting - hexadecimal vs decimal opcodes and
transfer sizes, preference for case distinctions in the small and in the
large, different approaches to global settings etc.

I notice you managed to treat the short packets in a general way. Good.
My exception handling was rather crude there. Now why don't we turn the
packet code into a proper state machine decoding bytes one by one? If we
also change nbread to read bytewise, we can eliminate timeout expiry
altogether if a valid reply comes in from the RCX.

PS1: If only you could change your indentation style to the one and only
     divinely sanctioned -br -ce -bad -bap -sob -npcs -lp -npsl ...

PS2: As always, the spirit of friendly competition in the Extreme Team
     is fascinating and quite efficient. Did you ever watch The Big
Blue?

--
"Sentir est le rival de Comprendre, comme Agir est l'antagonisme de
Penser."