 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 380
Re: fast firmware downloader
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 02:42:20 GMT

Luis Villa wrote:
Looks real nice on the PC side, Markus, but- where is the source for
fast.srec? Was that a deliberate omission? Or just a mistake? I'd really
like to look at what is in there, especially considering the small size
of the .srec. Let us know...
-Luis

Erm, hrm, well... the reason I didn't ship it yet is that it won't
compile with any released version of legOS. In order to gain full
configurability, I had to set up a seperate directory structure, with
its own include tree and stripped down IR driver.

For fastdl, the normal kernel functions are completely disabled, and as
soon as I find out a clean way to do this, it'll ship. Currently, I have
symlinks all over the place. I'd like to set up project directories, and
I need to find a way to put config.h there... more fiddling with include
paths ahead.

I think this'll all work with legOS 0.2/LNP ;-)

As to size... well you're right if you smell some assembler there, but
actually it's not that much. Mostly a matter of using backannotated
disassemblies to help the compiler to optimize. By using more macros
along the lines of bit_set_8bit(0xab:8,1) or writing pure assembly, one
could probably still save some 10-20% of code size.

And I discovered some gcc tricks, like __attribute__ ((noreturn)) and
suchlike. Too bad ((interrupt_handler)) won't generate the stubs we
need... Now if someone tweaked gcc and added ((rcx_interrupt_handler))

Ciao,

Markus.

--
"Sentir est le rival de Comprendre, comme Agir est l'antagonisme de
Penser."