 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 799
Re: Scout poweroff time out?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.scout
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 19:55:16 GMT

In article <39D636FE.FEFAE5C5@akasa.bc.ca>, Dean Husby
<nntp@akasa.bc.ca> wrote:

Would it be possible to add a command option to total the needed bytes
for a
program and compare it against the target? Compile with this option and
it
would tell you how much you had left or whatnot? It was quite the
surprise to
see the mem full error after adding one command...

Possible, yes, but I'd prefer not to.  The command line is already too
complex.  I might consider adding the information as part of the regular
program download message (with the battery level).

For devices other than Scout, there isn't a fixed limit on the program
size since program memory is shared with other things, so reporting on
the amount of memory remaining would require grabbing the memmap from
the device and munging through it - not too difficult, but a bunch of
extra traffic to slow things down.

In any event, the listing for a program (-l) reports the total number of
bytes used by the program.  That would at least allow you to keep tabs
on how big your program is.

Would it be sufficient to print this same total during download?

Dave

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com