 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3208
Re: BrickOS on Mac OS X
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 15:51:22 GMT

On 3/28/03 7:42 AM, in article HCGonu.12p8@lugnet.com, "Ed Manlove"
<emanlove@ieee.org> wrote:

Matt,

I have been working with Michael Zapp on "porting" brickOS to the Mac OS X.
We too had a fairly easy time with the binutils (ver 20020918). And both of
us had issues with GCC although we have been working on Ver 3.1. I have not
kept up with our updates but as just noted binutils is built and Michael has
a build of gcc. (But this is from GCC source code and I am extremely
cautious about this approach. Just look at the differences between the two
code bases).  Also Michael has been tackling the issue of USB communication
(I can add more about this if requested). Both of us have been busy lately
and I have not updated with him in a couple of weeks. I will check in with
him. A few notes here ...

At this point I have a working compiler and have successfully compiled
BrickOS (except for the C++ tests, which I have to look into). I'm working
on the USB stuff and making some progress (see my other post...).

If you're interested in trying out the compiler, I've created an install
package that's available at
http://www.zapptek.com/Downloads/H8300CrossCompiler.dmg.sit (it's ~18MB).

This will install the compiler and it's tools into /usr/h8300-hitachi-hms
(which is where BrickOS Makefiles expect it).

My plan is to provide downloadable versions of the compiler and download
tools so people don't have to rebuild them if they don't want to.

Michael