 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3204
Re: BrickOS on Mac OS X
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 13:42:25 GMT

Matt,

I have been working with Michael Zapp on "porting" brickOS to the Mac OS X.
We too had a fairly easy time with the binutils (ver 20020918). And both of
us had issues with GCC although we have been working on Ver 3.1. I have not
kept up with our updates but as just noted binutils is built and Michael has
a build of gcc. (But this is from GCC source code and I am extremely
cautious about this approach. Just look at the differences between the two
code bases).  Also Michael has been tackling the issue of USB communication
(I can add more about this if requested). Both of us have been busy lately
and I have not updated with him in a couple of weeks. I will check in with
him. A few notes here ...

I've compiled gnu binutils-2.13.1 hosted on darwin6.4, targeted at h8300.
That seemed to work fine out of the box (configure, make went down • smoothly)

Don't forget the make install step.

With gcc-2.95.3, I ran into a few snafus.  There were quite a  lot of
warnings of redefining some macros -- HOST_BITS_PER_INT, I believe was
different between h8300 and rs6000 (ppc).  I believe I allowed the h8300
value to override the rs6000 value.

Where did you get the source for 2.95.3?  I have a few issues with the way
Apple seems to label there distributions.  I find it difficult to reconcil
their version numbers with the GCC versions. I also find it extremely
difficult to find any versions except the latest.

stddef.h and mem.h had conflicting definitions of size_t, I allowed • mem.h's
through

BITS_PER_UNIT came up as undefined (!!), so I threw in a • flag -DBITS_PER_UNIT=8.

All right, but binutils and gcc are compiled, with a little bit of build
wrangling

Could you please post your instructions here? Thanks!

Here's where I run into the problem, building BrickOS:

brickos/util/makelx helloworld.ds1 helloworld.ds2 helloworld.lx
malformed symbolsrec file at line 2
make[1]: *** [helloworld.lx] Error 255

Not sure about this. I would want to see you instruction set and
modifications before I would start to guess.

I realize that OS X is not supported yet, but any help would be greatly
appreciated -- If I can get this working, I'd be happy to post binaries of
compiled binutils/gcc (since they're pain to compile) or perhaps patches

Glad to have another work on this.  As I mention above I am going to be busy
for another couple of weeks. (I am going to try again at the annual MATLAB
Programming Contest sponsored by The MathWorks, See ).  And when I get back
to this I have real limited access to a Mac.  But it is good to have another
working on this problem.

Ed