 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2323
Re: RCX as a PGP engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 05:09:27 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Dave Chen wrote:
I was just thinking, would the RCX be able to implement a PGP or RSA
type algorithm within it's tiny memory footprint given it's
processing power?

I don't think there is enough room for the WHOLE PGP package in the
RCX, perhaps just a single cipher, RSA key exchange and a single hash
method. Does anyone know off hand if any of these features require
floating point? You could probably substitute for an algorithm that
doesn't.

IIRC, the algorithm doesn't need floating point ops, only very very
large primes.

Also, I doubt if our poky old RCX could generate new keys in a
reasonable amount of time, so they'd probably have to be imported.

yah - I don't think the RCX will have a good generator of random
numbers.

cool idea, I'd be interested to see if it works :)

Dan